Sign in to follow this  
Monkey

Cutting Magnet

Utter Failure.

Well tried to cut some magnets for the Local Quarterback club. I used an older blade, different holder set to 1/2 thickness of magnet. The blade ended up scoring the whole path cause that was too far out for blade. so adjusted blade in some and sent a test cut, no more scoring where it shouldnt but magnet just tore when i tried bending and breaking rest of way through.

Was doing a "R" in their font (just like Rice R). Just dont think cutting magnets like that is going to be in my services offered lol. Maybe ill get a rotary cutter to round corners and just put vinyl on magnet sheets but I wont be cutting designs anymore. Or Ill just stay away from magnets all together. Didnt have a warm fuzzy feeling putting a magnet through the cutter for some reason.

Ive had success with this plenty. Pressure all the way up and slow the machine all the way down. i wont cut it all the way... ...just a nice score.

• Like 1

yeah thats what i did but with enough blade sticking out to score it enough to break clean (with some help) was too much and when it would pick up to move to another spot, it would drag the blade and put a shallow score where its not supposed to be. Then when I shortened the blade some to stop that, it didnt score enough and ended up tearing when trying to bend it back and forth to break it loose. Not biggie, I really didnt want to do these in the first place, I was doing it cheap as a favor to customer who placed other large order and is earning me more money. Told them I didnt think I was able to with my equipment but Id try. I tried.

The first time it cut beautifully except the extra scoring where it was just moving position cause of too much blade. other then that not scored enough

I know cleancut has a blade he made just for working with magnets - I haven't done it as I won't put magnet thru my machines but have heard that using that blade and making 2 passes makes a huge difference - also going real slow.   No personal experience but read about it on here.

Yeah Im going to pass on cutting magnet designs. Wasnt something I really wanted to do, but was trying to help someone out in the first place.