Sign in to follow this  
Stuck On Gaming

Best Transfer/Application Tape for small designs

Hey everyone. New to this so if it has been covered in another thread sorry for the repost. I'm trying to find which transfer tape would be the best for designs that have small pieces in the design. The transfer tape I use now works but when I use it on a small intricate design the vinyl comes up with the transfer tape. Any suggestions? I'm using oracal 651 to place on car Windows. And I'm not sure what brand transfer tape. It's something I got on Amazon. Thanks in advance.

It would help to know what type of vinyl you're using.

If you're looking for a paper tape (that looks masking tape) then I recommend this one - RTape Conform Series 4076-RLA as it sticks well to the liner and doesn't curl and peel like a lot of other paper tapes do.

If you're looking for a clear(ish) tape, then I recommend this one - RTape Clear Choice AT75 or this one - RTape Clear Choice AT60.   The AT75 is a high-tack vs. AT76 which is a low tack, but I find the AT75 much easier to work with, but it's not as transparent as the AT60 is.

Whatever type of tape you use, you need to be sure to squeegee the vinyl down firmly to the substrate and then peel the app tape back against itself at a sharp angle and work slowly. Practice, practice, practice.

It looks like you are using Oracal 651. I often use a medium tack tape for stuff that I am afraid will have problems getting off the tape. I have some of the Clear Choice AT60 clear tape that works well and I also use this for the craft moms who I do stuff for. They like it because they can see the colors and line things up and it comes off nice.

Also have some R-Tape medium I forget the number but it works about the same with less of the stretching you can get with clear. The only thing you have to watch with the medium tack is sometimes they don't lift off the liner as good.

As statebefore I'm using Oracal 651. I'm not too concerned with "clear" vs masking tape like transfer tape. I just want to make sure that myself or my customers don't run into problems like the vinyl getting peeled up with the transfer tape, specially with smaller designs.

I use 4076 RLA for everything and as long as you squeegee thoroughly it releases cleanly.

im currently using greenstar high tack clear tape and havent had any problems with it. 

i also have the RTape high tack paper tape but havent used it much as most of my stuff ive been doing ive needed to use clear for

Just jumping in here to ask a related question. I currently have AT75 that I bought when I got my cutter. This stuff is good and all for multi layer but it doesn't store well AT ALL! I have done a few decals and within an hour of laying flat on the table with some sun shining on it, the whole thing was a loss. The tape gets all kinda wrinkly.

From reading the forum it seems like the 4076 RLA is my best option to avoid this? I would like to ship some decals and I have been too afraid to with this AT75.

paper tape is the way to go...    I personally use Main Perfect Tear medium tack paper tape.   I used to use R-Tape, but like Main Perfect Tear  tape better.  

Thanks guys, now I just wish uscutter had 4076 on their Amazon site. I have a $100 amazon gift card that I could use. Otherwise I have to wait until I get the money.