Sign in to follow this  
Monkey

Acceptable from SC cutter? Input please

Ok there has been a "debate" of sorts as some of us having angle cutting issues primarily with text. Ive went through my whole cutter and nothing off track, cracked, broke etc. Ive adjusted the belt in both directions. If I cut at anything over the slowest speed with text angles like "W" are too jagged for me. I know I am very over critical on things but want opinions. This is Impact text, not converted to curves, just pure text Numbers are the speeds 100 slowest-800 fastest. Penny for scale. Thoughts, opinions.....

20130819_145215_zps35470158.jpg

I could skate with the 200 speed but after that... Still think something is wrong that we haven't figured yet. I think the easiest fix is in your near future though.

lol ive thrown away so many like the 200 cause i cant get myself to hand them over

yup only one way to fix the headaches - not cheap but if you keep your eyes open they are out there

oh im looking. Cant decide if I want to buy used and risk buying someone else problem or spring for new. Least I know now my SC Cutter isnt bad, just Im too critical of it lol. Does great for images and such but IMO lacks for small text, which I seem to do a lot of

And please dont anyone get me wrong, the SC is a great budget cutter. Its paid itself off a few times for me just since last November. Ill more then likely keep it as a back up cause never know what Murphy will throw at me

don't be afraid to buy used, if there is a problem, Jay can walk you through it   ;)

I have also noticed on occasion my SC will do that.... only on W's and only when real small.  I haven't noticed it on any other letter or in larger scale.  I run my speed at 400 all the time.

the sc is a great stepping stopne and to decide if you have what it takes to go serious.  I worked my way up thru the maze of inexpensive cutters.  I have bought many used and refurbed them so not afraid of buying them at all

mine does it on all letters with angles. A, W, V, X etc. But actual angles like an octagon, smooth cut. I do a lot of decals and window/ door stuff lately. All seem to have smaller lettering so this has been driving my inner perfectionist nuts lol.

Just throwing this out as a suggestion, I do this to mine regularly, take the blade out and put a tiny drop of oil and the back end of it to help it spin freely in the holder.  I use the same stuff I use for my air tools (as I already had some on hand).  Also, might swap with a fresh blade and see if that help if you haven't already.  Sometimes when I am waiting for the first cut of the day to get done I will sit and watch the blade run across the vinyl.... some times it just doesn't seem to move smooth..... sometimes it seems jerkey like it is struggling to move.  The cut is ok but it just looks funny watching it.  (I also think it takes longer to cut when you watch it)

• Like 1

we had one a couple of years ago, I think a mh, that did that same think.  even after changing parts and he even changed machines and it did it at his house but found it didn't do it at a house 45 miles away - seamed to be an electrical interference issue.  don't think he ever got it working right at home until he upgraded cutters

Ill try the oil trick. I have air tool oil and some bearing oil. As for blade its a fairly new (month or so old) cleancut blade. I check on the blade point frequently to make sure its in good condition. It did it with my stock blades as well. I like your idea of just watching it cut across the vinyl to see how it moves.

Monkey what is the size of those letters? I would like to run that test for myself

don't be afraid to buy used, if there is a problem, Jay can walk you through it   ;)

I have also noticed on occasion my SC will do that.... only on W's and only when real small.  I haven't noticed it on any other letter or in larger scale.  I run my speed at 400 all the time.

I'm not fixin' any more till I get one with ARMS registration.   I'm not   :angry:     I'm not   :angry:     I'm not    :angry:

• Like 1

Monkey what is the size of those letters? I would like to run that test for myself

.82 Just a tad over 3/4" Impact font

I don't have a clue what's wrong but I can't see that size being a problem.

Thanks monkey.. I will let you know how it turns out

Will cut on the 200 speed

Alright Monkey i cut the same size letters and fonts using signblazer. I did not have any jagged sides to the letters. However in the points on the inside of the W you can see where the vinyl lifted a tad. I cut on various speeds with 24 g pressure. The picture shown is speed 300

post-35399-0-77418900-1376957451_thumb.j

Also your corners are alot more rounded. Have you ever set your blade offset in signblazer?

I  noticed that do monkey.. Not sure what offset should be I will have to adjust and cut till it looks right...

I think I might have figured out that jerky problem.  Just a suspicion at the moment, will look into it when I get home.

• Like 1

did ya find something? I oiled the holder with bearing oil and seems a tad better

just sitting down now to go to work.... Have not adjusted yet but here is what I am thinking.  I think my blade is a tad to exposed.  I notice yesterday (I had taken the blade out for a little oil) and put it back in and never rechecked the depth.... I just tried to be careful and not mess up the adjustment.  I noticed when applying vinyl yesterday that when peeling off the backing, on some letter the first layer of backing paper would peel away from the backing and stick to the vinyl.  

At that point I knew I was cutting a tad deep but was not cutting thru the paper.  The backing sticking was also minimal so I did not rush to readjust.

Any way, I got to thinking I wonder if that paper might have been causing some of that drag or choppy cutting I mentioned.  In my head it makes sense.  About to adjust and do some cutting in a few minutes.

yeah that isnt my case. My eye cant even see my blade tip and it just barely marks the backing paper when it cuts. just enough that if I need to put back a piece that accidentally comes up when weeding there is a slight imprint I have to get really close with a lot of light to see. Oiling seems to have helped some though. I had some bearing oil for miniature bearings in my RC box so used that and seems to work really well

yes definitly something I need to get lol. Glad its not a sight thing for setting the blade up and I am able to test cut as I set it up or Id be screwed lol.