Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

You know who I am --

UPDATE --

Machine arrived, I cannot get any cutting operation from it.

All drivers from SignBlazer do not function.

Stuck.

UPDATE II ---

Installed SignCut (which has the SEIKI 870t driver) and still nothing.

However, MZ Skeeter PM'd me with the clue to what's causing the hangup.

Apparently, there's a special cable which provides USB to serial connectivity.

It's $3. from the big auction site.

I've ordered one of those (from Hong Kong, of course) and when it arrives (in September) I'll be able to conduct further tests.

Fingers crossed.

I do not believe any cable is going to help you without the specific PORT DRIVERS installed for the seiki models. Without this you are pretty much dead in the water. When I get to the shop tomorrow I will post these for you if you do not have them already. 

I do not believe any cable is going to help you without the specific PORT DRIVERS installed for the seiki models. Without this you are pretty much dead in the water. When I get to the shop tomorrow I will post these for you if you do not have them already. 

I did send him to the Seiki forum, where the drivers are already.  If that is what you are referring to. 

I did not know what kind of a cable he was using,  I just told him that mine came with this cable, And this is also from a Sunie/Seiki ad.  USB to RS-232C.   

Connection:

• Serial (RS-232C) Cable Included

Yes that is what I am saying, he will need the seiki port drivers, not cutting drivers. These are for the built in adapter within the seiki itself as just a standard serial or usb port will not connect thru it. Has to be a xp 32 bit computer. Anything else will not support the port drivers. 

IMO you have already wasted more time than the cutter is worth. From my experience the 870t is not a good piece of hardware. Since my master died this is the one that gets thrown in the back of the truck, left out in the rain, covered with dust and so on. Just all in all not a nice piece. Your SC will be way above and beyond this. 

Yes that is what I am saying, he will need the seiki port drivers, not cutting drivers. These are for the built in adapter within the seiki itself as just a standard serial or usb port will not connect thru it. Has to be a xp 32 bit computer. Anything else will not support the port drivers. 

IMO you have already wasted more time than the cutter is worth. From my experience the 870t is not a good piece of hardware. Since my master died this is the one that gets thrown in the back of the truck, left out in the rain, covered with dust and so on. Just all in all not a nice piece. Your SC will be way above and beyond this. 

Absolutely, there is a proprietary hardware configuration as well a unique piece of software that makes the SEIKI work.

Ridiculous, but that's what they decided to implement.

So far, I have not wasted too much time on it, and I think that with my old Dell laptop and the (apparently correct) cable I've ordered from eBay for $3, and the Prolific driver I grabbed, things should be OK.

It's a minor challenge, anyway.

If indeed it turns out that the machine is a pile of cr@p, at least I have it working and can sell it as a functioning unit.

I'm sure someone will give me $202 for it.

Or maybe not...

did you find the download for it? It is kind of a bear to find. It will name one of your ports seiki port or something. 

I like mine for doing simple little things. It does cut nice but it also hates large files. I use it alot to cut magnetic also

According to the SEIKI information on their forum, it's called a "Prolific" driver for PC.

Interestingly, last night I was visiting a friend and we got to talking about this whole subject of my buying another cutter, and he said he's got an old laptop he can let me have, maybe it will work on this.

(running Win98)

Now it's a matter of principle for me to get the SEIKI cutting.

I'm not giving up yet.

• Like 1

and whats your hourly rate?   ;)

This ongoing nightmare project is incredibly frustrating !!!! 

I received the cable from China today.

It actually came with a disk that contained the drivers (PL2303 USB-to-Serial)

However, after installing, my Device Manager indicated a failure of the COM port (yellow triangle with an exclamation point, and Error 10 code -- Device Cannot Start)

Hmmmmmmm, a quick look online for a solution provided me with the advice to uninstall the Driver and get rid of the included SER2PL.SYS file, and then replace it with one that is available online from another source.

http://sysfiles-download.com/sysindex/ser2pl.sys.html#edown

OK, I did that, and believe it or not, it worked, eliminating the port error and getting the computer to deal with the new cable.

However, when trying to run SignBlazer (my preferred cutting software) using the Roland PNC1000 cutter driver, the SEIKI refused to respond.

At that point, I merely selected another standard cutter model (Creation PCut) and that got the SEIKI into operation.

Unfortunately, it didn't cut properly, and produced random lines all over the text.

After trying several other models, I settled upon the GENERIC DMPL driver, which seems to be fine.

My test cuts are right on target.

So, there you have it.

I'm proud of myself for going the distance and making this cutter come to life.

Great,  you got it going....    So, is it quieter than the SC you have?  If you purchase, a new Seiki, it already comes with the cable and Flexistarter software.   So less headaches.

It doesn't seem much quieter.

In fact, it has a fairly annoying high-pitched motor, and I'm very tempted to go ahead and list it on craigslist.

Uh-Oh.

Today I was cutting some stuff with the SEIKI, and suddenly it went haywire, making random cuts everywhere.

Now, the keypad is non-responsive, and none of the buttons work.

What can I say?

It's the end of the road for that machine.

dang I had high hopes for that one for a value cutter - maybe just a bad one!   several people have used them to get going with

I ran an 870T ? after my Master and before the Laserpoint 1. It paid for itself and the Laserpoint.