LCashwell

Vinyl

I ordered a bundle from uscutter off of ebay that came with Greenstar vinyl.  I have a small tshirt shop and going to start offering decal services.  I want to order some more vinyl - Do many people use the Greenstar vinyl or should I consider ordering a different brand.  

I think you will find most people usually use their greenstar stuff to play with or practice.  I believe most people use oracal 651 or 3M products

• Like 1

I think you will find most people usually use their greenstar stuff to play with or practice.  I believe most people use oracal 651 or 3M products

Yup. What he said. 

I use the Greenstar as a cheap option for folks who are really wanting to keep the cost down. Its not horrible stuff but the longevity is suspect and it shrinks a lot. 

Oracal 651 is great affordable vinyl for most applications, even small decals on vehicles and glass. I usually step it up to 751 for any real vehicle applications like door logos etc. The 751 is cast and won't shrink. Lifespan is longer too and I have better luck getting small stuff to stay stuck. The 651 can sometimes be easier to cut real small graphics on because it is a little stiffer and doesn't tend to pull up during the cutting process but then is harder to weed for the same reason. I do 75%-651 20%-751 and 5%-GStar.

GStar is pretty tough though. I used some white to cover the inside of our kitchen cabinet shelves that were looking shabby. It has lasted so good I can hardly believe it and gets abused everyday with plates and all the usual getting tossed and slid on it. Been in there over a year.  

Yup. What he said. 

I use the Greenstar as a cheap option for folks who are really wanting to keep the cost down. Its not horrible stuff but the longevity is suspect and it shrinks a lot. 

Oracal 651 is great affordable vinyl for most applications, even small decals on vehicles and glass. I usually step it up to 751 for any real vehicle applications like door logos etc. The 751 is cast and won't shrink. Lifespan is longer too and I have better luck getting small stuff to stay stuck. The 651 can sometimes be easier to cut real small graphics on because it is a little stiffer and doesn't tend to pull up during the cutting process but then is harder to weed for the same reason. I do 75%-651 20%-751 and 5%-GStar.

GStar is pretty tough though. I used some white to cover the inside of our kitchen cabinet shelves that were looking shabby. It has lasted so good I can hardly believe it and gets abused everyday with plates and all the usual getting tossed and slid on it. Been in there over a year.  

GreenStar = Contact Paper?

Greenstar is good for doing temp coroplast signs for golf tournaments where they get used only a few times and not a lot of weather exposure

• Like 1

GreenStar = Contact Paper?

Ha Ha! Thats what happens when a newbie orders a 48" x 10yd roll of white greenstar vinyl with his new cutter. We bought an older home with outdated kithcen cabinets and I haven't had the time of $$$ to replace them. Was looking at the cruddy condition and decided to try to use up some of that roll I bought way back. It's obviously super thick and had stayed down real well and thats saying something because some of the shelves are bare chipboard with a little laquer on them. They were horrible but are nice and white now! Beats the heck out of contact paper.

I have used greenstar like industrial packing tape. Last cutter I shipped I wrapped the whole box like a christmas present.

• Like 1

Gee, you guys aren't giving Greenstar any breaks at all!

It's great, as previously stated, for getting your feet wet and for practicing.

It's perfectly fine for indoor use, especially where it won't be man-handled or abused - signs behind the register, etc - it's perfect for that.

It's even good for temporary outdoor use, but not for anything that's intended to be outdoors more than 1 year.

The biggest problem I have with Greenstar is that their white vinyl comes on a white liner and it's headache-inducing to do much weeding, especially of small items, and it makes it next to impossible to layer on top of white, even with clear tape and even with a light table it's not all that easy.

Hey, it worked for packing taped and cheaper than real tape so I found a good use for it. It was either that, sell it on ebay or throw it in the burn pile I would of felt guilty selling it and the burn pile was a option if it didn't  find another use.

my cutter came with 12 rolls of greenstar. Ive used it for practicing, testing images to see if my cutter will even cut them and for samples to show customer design, but not something I give them. Just so they can see it cut in vinyl. Just like my set up came with a roll of clear tape which I only use to layer something I did in greenstar for presentation purpose only. Everything I cut for people is Oracal or Avery (if its a color Oracal doesnt have). So I would recommend replenishing with Oracal as you go.

But I have excellent experience with Greenstar paper transfer tape. Both wet and dry installs. Its all I order. Ive thought about trying other brands but, if it aint broke...dont fix it. I carry 6, 12 and 24" tape and both 15 and 24" vinyl.

• Like 1