Sign in to follow this  
gregorycooper43

Round helmet decal question

Hi Everybody,

I have a question that I can't seem to find a solid answer for. I have a possible order for round football helmet decals that I am not quite sure how to cut correctly. I have done many helmets in the past, but usually only singles, and I apply the decals myself, for these, the coaches will be applying them for the kids, and I want to keep application as simple as possible without wrinkles. The decal resembles the Pittsburgh Steelers logo, but it is a single color, and not a solid circle. should this be cut perfectly round?, or stretched a certain way to help make application easier for the coaches? Thanks for any opinions and help.

How big is it going to be? Will it be on the side where there is very little curve to the helmet? Id leave it normal and not stretch it.

If your that worried ask for a helmet to test on and see what turns out the best. 

Using a cast vinyl instead of a calendared one will help. Cast is thinner and conforms a little easier to contours.

I usually go with clear app tape along with cast vinyl to allow for a little stretching. I also warn them a little about the hazards of curved surface application so they aren't pissed when they have wrinkles. You might burn a few extras to give out if they are regular clients, keeps the good vibes going.

Thanks for the info, I really don't care for a round decal on a helmet personally, it's very hard to get wrinkle free. I am using Avery cast, I have always had good luck in the past with it, it's a little forgiving. I am using Conform 4075 application tape for this. I was having a hard time locating a somewhat flexible clear, which I would have preferred.

Thanks again for all the help.