Sign in to follow this  
LMG0822

Decal Question. Please Help

post-35599-0-69937600-1376544604_thumb.gI will start off by saying I haven't had my vinyl machine but a month or so - and I'm having to teach my self how to use it as I go...

I'm trying to make some car decals for a ball team. I am having more trouble with this than I anticipated - and i'm probably making things more difficult that necessary.  I have attached a sample of the type of decal I'm trying to make...  They just want a white oval with "DRAW" centered in the middle and Bad Draw smaller, along a black oval outline (smaller than the white oval)  I feel like this should be fairly simple to make...but I must be over complicating things.  I made the white oval, but I'm having trouble getting the smaller outline of an oval in black to be exactly proportionate.  And I understand that it will have to be 2 cuts for the black oval (one on each side of the outline) but I am not exactly sure how to go about making them.

(I was able to figure out how to make "Bad Draw"  follow a path to curve in the direction of the oval)

Also, Would you suggest making the white oval with nothing cut out of it and then just adding the black vinyl over it after that has been cut, or would you suggest cutting out all of the images out of the white so that I can fit the two colors together.  

I hope this wasn't too confusing - I'm very appreciative of any help/advice

Thanks in Advance! 

B) OMG... Cut the newbie some slack. I feel his pain.... I'm no expert but this is how I would tackle that problem. I would copy the 1st white oval & paste it on top, change the color & re-size down keeping proportions, till you get it looking like you want. Keeping both objects centered until you get the outside border like you want. Hide the 1st oval. Then copy the 2nd oval & paste it on top. Re-size & center until you get your oval line around the outside the size you want. Select both top ovals & merge. You should now have just an oval ring that fits just like the image you posted. Un-hide the 1st white oval, center everything like you want. Done... Use weeding to give yourself a border on the 1st white oval & go for it. Cut by color. I would also just cut the larger white ovals 1st. Then cut the second black ovals with the text. Lift the 2nd oval with the text with transfer tape & place on the white oval, voila decal created & ready to go... Hope this helps.

ps, I'm a bit of a computer geek so if need be, remote access & a phone call wont cost a thing & I could walk you through the process, if my instructions weren't quite clear enough. Knowledge is power & I love helping people learn new tricks.

Good Luck! ! ! :)

• Like 1

B) OMG... Cut the newbie some slack. I feel his pain.... I'm no expert but this is how I would tackle that problem. I would copy the 1st white oval & paste it on top, change the color & re-size down keeping proportions, till you get it looking like you want. Keeping both objects centered until you get the outside border like you want. Hide the 1st oval. Then copy the 2nd oval & paste it on top. Re-size & center until you get your oval line around the outside the size you want. Select both top ovals & merge. You should now have just an oval ring that fits just like the image you posted. Un-hide the 1st white oval, center everything like you want. Done... Use weeding to give yourself a border on the 1st white oval & go for it. Cut by color. I would also just cut the larger white ovals 1st. Then cut the second black ovals with the text. Lift the 2nd oval with the text with transfer tape & place on the white oval, voila decal created & ready to go... Hope this helps.

ps, I'm a bit of a computer geek so if need be, remote access & a phone call wont cost a thing & I could walk you through the process, if my instructions weren't quite clear enough. Knowledge is power & I love helping people learn new tricks.

Good Luck! ! ! :)

the other answers are under the first post in the general help section - it helps to keep the answers in 1 place  - easier to find than searching 3 threads - just sayin

it's not a problem mcshank - that is why it is best not to shotgun the question everywhere - most of us look at the new post and answer once

Yep, Just figured that one out. I'll be keeping up with the new posts' now instead of just one thread. It looks like I'll get a lot more good info this way in the future.

Thank-You Very Much! ! !

• Like 1

I wasn't trying to "spam" it everywhere.  I had a question about 2 months ago, and it was suggested to me to post it in more than one place (If it fit under that category) so that more people would see it and possibly be willing to help.  If I offended you, or anyone else, that was not my intent.  Yes, I'm a Newbie...and still have a lot to learn...but, I didn't realize that was a problem.  Seeing that you commented on each of the 3 threads suggesting otherwise - I now see that it may be aggravating to someone trying to help others on the forum....with that said,..sometimes cutting a newbie some slack would be appreciated...

Thanks for the help to everyone that has replied (to any of my 3 spam posts) 

you will notice I replied with help on the first one - although an actual better answer than mine was posted later (that is the great thing about this community)  several of the people who regularly help watch the new post and help where we can - so the same one 3 times gets old - sorry to be grumpy - maybe just too busy right now.

• Like 1