Sign in to follow this  
prettybird

Shelf life of 651 vinyl?

Hi, does anyone know what the shelf life of the Oracal 651 vinyl with transfer tape applied to it would be?  I have a customer that wants to buy another piece of something and save it for later just in case but he wants to know what the shelf life would be.

Thanks,

Deanna

Depends on storage conditions. I have some in the store that after 2 months you couldn't chisel the tape off of it but this is facing a sunny window.

2 years is for vinyl only and I have seen it much older and still be good but the app tape tends to weld itself on there over time.

While learning how to layer I did some stuff using Greenstar back in November. Its been sitting taped this whole time. To be funny, I put one on my wifes laptop the other day and it went on great (she wasnt al that excited but hey). Tape was a tad bit harder to get off and left some residue from around the edge of the tape, but was fine. Now I would expect Oracal to be even better since its a higher quality vinyl but Im not for certain, just trying to help out with my experience.

All depends on storage. I grabbed 1 off my pegboard for a customer a couple weeks ago that was around 2 months taped and when i put it on (dry) I ended up pulling the graphic back off even after wetting the app tape to loosen it. My lesson is that we now tape all graphics at time of purchase and everything that was taped has been filed in the round cabinet. I actually saw a guy use gas one time to remove tape on 1 that he had for a couple years.

I just threw a few pieces of 631 up that I have had sitting in a drawer taped for 2 to 3 years. tape really didn't want to release but I got it eventually. I definitely wouldn't want a customer to have to try that hard to install something, we all know how that would end.

I installed 651 that was about a year old taped and in a drawer as well, that one was exactly the same as another piece I cut that same day. They both were a pain to install but that was because the guys rear window was curved more than my wife (that's a lot).

post-12577-0-28937000-1376011858_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ted S. Are you responsible for the zombie evolution decal in that pic? If so, where did you find the art?

Thanks for all your input everyone - I guess I'll tell him he probably shouldn't try to store any for later on.

A friend of mine sent me the zombie piece. I looked and looked but don't know where the file is.

That's OK - I found the evolution lineup and the rest of the stuff I was able to add...  Thanks, anyways!