Sign in to follow this  
Dakotagrafx

examples of head trouble

came across this add today - says prints good - that black head will never give crisp edges and will need replaced - add $850 to the price of the printer if that is all it needs   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Versacamm-SP-540i-Roland-Mimaki-Mutoh-Printer-/251312261436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8360c93c

$(KGrHqF,!rkFHoV!Yy+NBR9n12v!J!~~60_57.J

post-2742-0-76329700-1375722638_thumb.jp

this one the line in the middle of the magenta could be an allignment issue but the line in the top of the magenta - not sure about that one - and what about the magenta line in the yellow??  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Printer-SP-540V-Print-Cut-Contr-54-/330977593896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0fcd4a28

post-2742-0-87749700-1375703404_thumb.jp

I looked at the second 1 you linked to and they have at least 5 printers in that view. I couldn't even imagine being busy enough to justify that many printers, makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

I looked at the second 1 you linked to and they have at least 5 printers in that view. I couldn't even imagine being busy enough to justify that many printers, makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

they buy and sell printers - it is there business - and to say that it prints well is not right - there is no way on fine detail it will print right.  and to offer it at a premium price when it needs a head - nuff said - this was posted just to help inform what is out there.  I have seen a couple of machines that people bought recently that are being parted out - my guess is the cost to repair is beyond what they can spend and are trying to recoup the rent money.    three is a sp300 on ebay right now for 2500 (I think) that probably needs a new main board ($2000) and new heads ($1900) but that is before you can tell if that is really what is wrong.  also spotted a VP that only one side of the black head is printing - could be a head, could be a board, could also be the headboard if not the mianboard, could be cable but at somewhere under $7K as I remember it is a big chance.

this was just an idea of what to look for when you buy a printer - you might fake it with one of these on a busy pattern on  a wrap or billboard but on most of what I print they would never fly as people are looking for crisp prints

I was just curious why someone would have so many printers but you answered that for me. Nice setup if you are reselling, looks like a busy shop not a used car lot for printers. I don't see myself buying 1 for a long time and by then these will be antiques.

Just got the one I wanted......in my dreams that is oh yah. Thanks for sharing the info was thinking of buying one from eBay but now ummmm no.

Bet your c88 didn't have a pattern near that good this weekend. I liked my c88 but after the second 1 died and 3 wf1100's later I gave up on them. Only 1 left here and so far so good.

Hatter it isn't to scare you away it is so you know what to look for when you look at a printer - too many people don't know what to look for then don't have the money to fix what is wrong when they figure it out - or they just sell sub par decals.

• Like 1

I started looking for a deal on a printer a while back planning to replace needed parts but looked up part costs on a few and decided there was way too much risk. In the first part of my search before I knew the difference, I was checking out Epson and HP large format inkjet printers. I guess people use those for posters and indoor promotional signs, not sure though. Also a friend of mine knows the owner of a sign shop that closed down six months ago. They are asking around to see if anyone wants to buy their "business". My friend said they have a large format vinyl printer in a storage unit! He was all excited and was asking if I wanted to go in on it, but I broke his heart when I told him I don't want anything to do with it. 

Ted - you wouldn't believe the amount of people that blow boards when replacing heads etc - then they would have to sell there car to buy the parts - it is all about just being informed on what to look for.  one in a storage unit for sure would be anywhere from 3K to 7K for parts - they don't like to sit unplugged and not cleaned.  remember the one on storage wars where the guy gave 1K for the one with a dead board - the look on his face when the guy agreed was priceless - he severly over paid for that one at 1K.  

If you can find one with perfect heads for the right price it makes sence but to buy one just to have one with bad heads doesn't make sence.