Sign in to follow this  
cutme

rattling chattering noise

does anyone else who owns a laserpoint have a noisy cutter? whenever the carriage is traveling left or right it makes a loud rattling noise. it cuts fine, but i just saw a video of a pcut machine that was smooth and quiet. i also sometimes get a sawtooth cut on long straight cuts to the left or right. luckily they have been on weed boxes and not the finished product. just curious.

bruce blessing

Guest Terry

The Refine is twice as loud. Be sure your cutting head is still on the tracks.

Guest Terry

The Refine is twice as loud. Be sure your cutting head is still on the tracks.

Joecamaro posted pictures of it, but I can't find them.

Here it is. A pic of my carriage off track.

img2972im0.jpg

Make sure the white wheels are inside the track and not showing up like this.

I do not think he has a Refine, he said a LaserPoint. Ignore the picture....

Make sure the blade is barely sticking out of the blade holder. Use a pressure setting of 120-150.

Lol!

Sorry Ken  :o

Lol!

Sorry Ken  :o

lol

It's no problem, just don't want to confuse 'em.

:D

Yeah, I've never seen a laserpoint, I was jsut asked for the pic, so I posted it.

Yeah, I've never seen a laserpoint, I was jsut asked for the pic, so I posted it.

:o

it is definitely on the track, it cuts fine. the part of the carriage that moves the blade up and down seems to be the source of the noise. if i turn the cut pressure up to 120-150 it will cut right through the backing. maybe i will try to get some video of it with audio so you can see and hear what i mean. i was mostly wondering if anyone else who has one of these machines was experiencing the same thing.

bb

If the pressure is set to between 120-150, and cutting through everything, then the blade is exposed too far from the blade holder. Retract it some more with the twist end cap.

yeah i will have to perform that eposure adjustment procedure before i cut any thing again. thanks

bb

Are you using Flexi or SB software?  Mine rattles in Flexi and cuts jagged lines even pen plots jagged

actually the chattering is only when cutting a straight line from the left to the right. the part of the cutter that moves up and down is a little loose and the dynamic of the holder pushing the blade that direction causes it to sort of jump. it also makes a zipper like cut. this hasn't really been a problem so far, because the only time it cuts in that direction is when cutting a weed box. i can also gently lay my finger on the side of the blade holder when it cuts that direction to stop the chattering. i figure it is just par for the course when you pay so little for such a sophisticated machine.

bb

If the carriage is chattering as it cuts from left to right, and/or making a jagged cut.....the blade depth needs to be set just right for the particualr material you are cutting, and I have found that a Pressure setting of 120-150 resolves this issue.

i have the blade exposure down to where it barely leaves a mark on the backing and the pressure at 125 for most vinyl. but i am having a big problem with lifting of the points of stuff like flames. should i be using a 60 degree blade for that?

bb

I wonder if the blade isn't rotating in the blade holder for some reason. You might want to try and pull out the blade, and clean it up really well (the entire thing - cut side and holder side). At times when I ran some cut, some of the cut lines looked more like stitch marks than a single cut line. It made me a little crazy, but after adjusting the pressure a little bit more, it solved the problem.

I don't know what media you're using, but I was using Oracal 651, and at that time, had my pressure set at 60. Now I cut the Oracal 651 at 70 - 80, and it weeds a lot better. Some of the other vinyl that I cut some times makes the blade and the face of the blade holder really sticky and gummy, so I need to pull it out and clean it up really good if I use the other vinyls.

I found cleaning both the blade and the holder definitely minimizes junk cuts, or lifting of the small stuff that's cut while the blade is moving back and forth.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes for you.

the blade not turning was my first thought. it spins super free and is clean as a whistle. the plotter is only a couple of months old and is used for my hobby, so it doesn't have a lot of "miles" on it. as for the lifting of points i am thinking of trying some automotive paste wax on the blade holder where it rubs on the vinyl.

bb

Oooo.. I never thought about that. Let us know how it works out.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing or little to do with your noise but my new 36" Laserpoint was rattling really bad. I found the lockdown levers on the vinyl feed rollers were vibrating. Simple fix was using two thin rubberbands... stretch one rubber band from each outside roller/lever (the 36" has three rollers) to the middle lever! Fixed! Same would apply to two roller setups... just use one rubberband from lever to lever. Doesn't affect useage or travel at all.  :thumbsup:

that is totally not the issue here.

bb