Sign in to follow this  
Chamm

My first 'real' application

My own drawing applied on wifes car. A few problems but no biggies. Used the water and dish soap application fluid. Had some problems getting the greenstar vinyl to stick on the ends and a few other spots on the first side. Though it was because I had it too wet, but not sure. The other side had a few more bubbles to get out, but I didn't use as much fluid. What's the trick, practice? Experiment? Use a real application fluid?

Chuck

post-20937-0-79191700-1375582607_thumb.j

Most spray-pump bottles tend to put out way too much fluid with each pull of the trigger.

Apply the fluid with a fine mister sprayer.

Sml-Mister.jpg

The "trick" is all of the above but that looks good on there.

I think I would extend the design to the front and rear quarter panels.... it might be just me but it looks a little odd.  I think if you add that extra few inches at the front ant rear it might look complete.  I hope someone else chimes in on that either way other than me tho.  I could be wrong.  What you did however looks great.

On app fluid..... I tried making my own and it seems like it is an exact, trial by error process.  I gave up after the first install because I struggled too long getting the tape off.  I bought a commercial product and the difference was night and day.

Thanks Jaybird. I was going to try the dry hinge, but chickened out, lol. I did that on my shop door with some different size letters i was cutting. But of course that was nice and flat. I had multiple curves on the door bottom of the car.  I could have used a car lift also, I'm too old to be crawling on the ground. I'm going looking for some of those fine misters next time im in town.

Thanks all.

On app fluid..... I tried making my own and it seems like it is an exact, trial by error process.  I gave up after the first install because I struggled too long getting the tape off.  I bought a commercial product and the difference was night and day.

I'm thinking the same thing xpaperman!

Chuck,  I notice in your avatar photo that you are holding up a can of something ----  is that your own home-made app fluid?   :rolleyes:

Make sure all dust , dirt ,oils and wax are cleaned off before any type of app wet or dry. You can use a commerical clean like rapid prep. And you must use plenty of force to squeege away the water/app fluid. After the decal has adhered well you can use the app fluid to spray the tape and let it set a while to help it come off easier.

looks good, never had a problem with Greenstar sticking, that stuff seems to stick to everything including stuff I dont want it to stick too.

Chuck,  I notice in your avatar photo that you are holding up a can of something ----  is that your own home-made app fluid?   :rolleyes:

Lol, that was back in the day when I used to drink a LOT of Full Throttle. I worked at Coca-Cola back then and got a good discount.  It might make things go faster, but probably not stick any better, lol. I made a simple decal for advertising and put that in the back window of the wife's car also. Now to pound the pavement around home town and see if I can drum up some business for some easy window stuff.

This is all new for me, so pardon all the simple stuff I post. I made a small 2 color layered sticker. I did it the hard way just to experiment. This actually has 4 different layers when I could have just done it in 2, but I just was playing around with lining things up. I had to really lay on the homade application fluid to get it to move around, but it did enough to get it pretty close. I used triangles for orientation on all four sides of my design, but when i laid one over the top, at least one was off about 1/8 of an inch. Not sure why. I'm using scalp. The locator marks never moved when i cut the 4 layers, so not sure whats going on there. I was able to line them up for the most part though with the other marks. Any way, here it is before and after I laid the last layer.

post-20937-0-30086900-1375745234_thumb.j

post-20937-0-95395300-1375745243_thumb.j

Yeah the practice of multiple layer can't hurt. Would be cool to add a different color as the letter center. Practice, practice, practice and let the good times role. 

Until I got the Graphtec I never got reg. marks to cut accurately enough to line up on anything. However when doing it wet there really isn't any need for reg. marks as long as you know how it's supposed to look when done.