Stuff4Toys

Gonna pull the trigger on a Ricoh 3110DN

Like the subject says.....

If you could only afford one set of ink, would you buy Chromablast or Sublijet ink?

When we can buy another set and want to switch between poly and cotton shirts, anyone have any experience with switching cartridges from one type to the other, or do you have two printers???

JOhn ><>

I use my Ricoh for sublimation and haven't tried changing ink types. Sorry not much help.

sublimation  - remember though if you switch inks you will need to clean all of the other ink out of the lines and heads - about 1/2 cart probably to make the change so not a quick easy flip.  if you want to use sublimation ink on cotton you can use this http://www.digitalheatfx.com/forever-sublimation-8-5-x11-sample-pack.html

if you get on thier mailing list they run pretty good sales from time to time but still pretty expensive stuff - but chaper than throwing away ink on changing carts

I do my shirts w/ jpss or 3G opaquek with pigment in, haven't tried chromablast yet. Sublimation's got my vote especially with the Ricoh printer. These printers do an awesome job on sub work and there are so many options out there for blanks you'll never be able to try them all.

Ummm I did try them all ok in my dreams lol looking at the Ricoh to replace my c88 that clogged. Or maybe a WF 7010

I think you should look at your answer ( clogged epson or ricoh that is clog resistant)  just sayin

• Like 1

I gave him the hard sale earlier in pm. Had my Ricoh 2+ years and have never run a cleaning cycle. I ran so many in my Epson's that I had to download the program to reset the printer.

• Like 2

I must be the luckiest bastard in the world, because my Epsons always work flawlessly with very little preventative maintenance on my part.

I very seldom need to clean the heads and my nozzle checks are almost 100% perfect on the 1st or 2nd try.

I use Epson with pigment setup and the longest it sets is over the weekend, any longer and I start to worry. The Ricoh can set for months and bust off a perfect print with no cleaning. So if you use it frequently epson isn't bad but let it set for a week or 2.... Wasn't long ago i read some posts by hatter how good his epson was about not clogging and here we are. Each has a place in business and I lie them both equally for what i use them for.

I must be the luckiest bastard in the world, because my Epsons always work flawlessly with very little preventative maintenance on my part.

I very seldom need to clean the heads and my nozzle checks are almost 100% perfect on the 1st or 2nd try.

No, the luckiest bastard in the world would be xpaperman with his new Graphtec but your a close second.

• Like 1

so, would this printer be a good deal if you could get it for say.... 100 bucks?

if you can get it from a dealer, with warranty and never had ink in it - little story - first one I bought was unused off ebay - no ink in the lines.  get it and put the sawgrass inks in it - takes about 200 in ink to charge the lines and fill the heads only to find it had a bad head.  Ricoh said it had no warranty as it wasn't bought from a dealer so not only was I out the printer but also the ink that cost 200.00.   Ordered next one from Conde, about a year later it went bad, called conde and they didn't have any in stock, they sent me a loaner with free ink until my larger gx7000 was back in stock in about 5 weeks then gave the option of buying the cheaper unit cheap or they would pay the shipping back.  not only that they sent 2 free carts to cover what was lost in the one that went bad.   - so if you get it and it works great the answer would be yes, if it doesn't then not so much - if it has other ink in it you will wast a lot of ink flushing it out

Jay got it to unclog completely with some cleaner I had for the DTG oh yeah saving me some money. However I want a Ricoh only cause of your great sales pitch plus I like it,

I will not buy a used printer for the reason mentioned by Dakota and if looking at Epson's do NOT buy display models. Once the ink has been loaded they are a ticking bomb for how long before the heads clog up. Ask me how I know this (thanks Office Max) and with Epson unless you're buying with a cis kit the price through their website is very good.

Thanks for the info Dakota.  I think I will pass on it then.  100 for the printer and 30 bucks shipping.... no ciss.  

Thanks for the info Dakota.  I think I will pass on it then.  100 for the printer and 30 bucks shipping.... no ciss.  

they are big internal carts so no ciss on the richohs

From what I've used on the Ricoh ink I'd say it's not much more than the cost of using bulk with the Epson but without the mess.

• Like 1

more great info, but still, with the stuff Dakota pointed out, I am not sure it is really worth the risk.  I think I will pass on that potential headache.  Will just wait and go new when I am ready.

We have 2 3110's set up, one for Chromoblast, and the other for Sublimation. Only use them very rarely, but so far, no clogging issues. However, they ARE left on all the time. That was the suggestion from Ricoh! What little we have used them, we do love them!!!

Same here, never shut down my printers. Ricoh has automatic cycles it does like the big boy printers that keep the head clean.

Think I am about ready to purchase one.... New from Conde I guess.  Tired of searching for a deal.....

I suppose the inks that come with it are mainly for sublimation for mugs etc?  What is the chromoblast?  Is that more for garments?

chromoblast is a cotton transfer alternative to sublimation (sublimation doesn't work on cotton)  it is a thin transfer material that pops but for the price I would go jpss for the cotton and the sublibation for mugs, tiles, phone cases, dog bowls, oh so many other things