Phoenix959

Using a PCUT for plotting

Hi All,

I was looking to purchase a PCUT machine to create "Hand Written Letters", I can create a PDF of the file to be plotted but I have a few questions:

1) What format do I need to drive these plotters, can I set it up as a Windows printer or will the software included with the PCUT read a PDF or .AI file?

2) Has anyone plotted using "Hand Written Fonts", does it look jagged or smooth, Does it look like it was written by a person using a pen?

3) If I bought a 24" or 28" model and wanted to print on 6" X 8" card stock does anyone see any issues with the material being too small?

4) Is there anyone here in the Atlanta area that is running a business with one of these machines that can pen plot. I'd like to see if this will work before buying a machine. Obviously I'd pay for time.

should work fine as long as you are creating the files as a vector graphic - it will come with scalp program or you can download signblazer free - most comon used file is a .eps.   6x8 will work find but you will want a carrier so it can cut thru it - the cutters are made to cut part way thru the media and messes up the cutting stip if you cut thru without a carrier

not really sure - been a long time since I owned a p=cut - moved up as soon as I could

Using 6 x 8 card stock would be rough. You would have 1/2" margin on each edge and probably 1-1/2" on the top and bottom.

Using 6 x 8 card stock would be rough. You would have 1/2" margin on each edge and probably 1-1/2" on the top and bottom.

and the reason for the carrier mentioned above . . . 

Sounds like he wants to draw on the cardstock, not cut through it... They'll still need some sort of carrier sheet or settle for large margins...

• Like 1

Hi All,

I was looking to purchase a PCUT machine to create "Hand Written Letters", I can create a PDF of the file to be plotted but I have a few questions:

1) What format do I need to drive these plotters, can I set it up as a Windows printer or will the software included with the PCUT read a PDF or .AI file?

2) Has anyone plotted using "Hand Written Fonts", does it look jagged or smooth, Does it look like it was written by a person using a pen?

Many of the plotters available support HPGL, which is the standard Hewlett Packard graphics language that all the old school pen plotters spoke.  You'll probably still be better off using software specific for use with a plotter/cutter vs. drivers for a pen plotter.

It will not fool a forensic document examiner, if that's what you mean.  Humans vary the pressure on a pen tip while writing, machines generally do not, and so anyone who knows will be able to distinguish between handwriting and machine drawn.

Most of the pens that are available for these types of plotters are fine point for drawing architectural diagrams and such.  I have some nifty Sharpie adapters for my Graphtec (and my apologies to the forum member who makes and sells them, your name escapes me at the moment..." and that allows me to use standard size Sharpies for a much broader stroke and more visible lines.  One problem that I foresee is that most cutting software doesn't support any sort of "fill" function, so you'll be able to draw the outlines of letters just fine, but won't be able to fill them in solid.  It won't be a problem with single stroke fonts, but anything with a varying width is going end up hollow...

I use Flexistarter and if you don't put it on wire frame, it will fill in solid.  .  I made that mistake cutting 1 time when I first started. It tried to cut all of the solid.  If my blade was a Sharpie, it would have filled it in.    I would think most other software would also. If not on wire frame.

I think someone on here a while back posted a picture that was all filled in with a Sharpie.

I use Flexistarter and if you don't put it on wire frame, it will fill in solid.  .  I made that mistake cutting 1 time when I first started. It tried to cut all of the solid.  If my blade was a Sharpie, it would have filled it in.    I would think most other software would also. If not on wire frame.

I think someone on here a while back posted a picture that was all filled in with a Sharpie.

Can you tell me where I would find that option? Sounds interesting.

just don't click wire frame when you cut. on  FILL STROKE EDITOR  It says Solid Fill

Your design will not turn to wire frame,  Unless you click wireframe.

Put some solid letters or a circle.  on your cut/plot screen, send to cutter.   See what you get. 

My wire frame box is not checked and it works normally. Wonder if it has to do with designing in corel and importing over rather than designing in Flexi.

what does it do if you don't select it?  So it does not show a size when selected. in production manager? , just send it.from the screen   as is...  with solid fill.

Just enter some text on the screen.    I just know I made that mistake and it was just going back and forth cutting all the solid to shreds.     I have not tried since.  I always select wireframe..

When I change that setting it changes the appearance on the design page but when I go to cut it makes no difference. Which version of Flexistarter are you using? I'm using 10 and thinking it may be something they changed between versions.

post-40404-0-85720200-1375385707_thumb.j

I started with 7.6 in 2006.  and have picked up 8.5 and 8.6 over the years.  and currently run them..  But I have never tried it with them  .  It was by mistake when I did, it starting out. 

I understand that as I try to never repeat my mistakes but I will mess around a little later to see if I can get the result you got.

just don't click wire frame when you cut. on  FILL STROKE EDITOR  It says Solid Fill

Your design will not turn to wire frame,  Unless you click wireframe.

Put some solid letters or a circle.  on your cut/plot screen, send to cutter.   See what you get. 

OK after seeing that great video.   I know how to do it again in Flexistarter.  Go to the last tab at top of cut /plot screen. It looks like a blade. Click it.  And It has FILL PLOT.     Pen width.   Give that a go.      Thanks for the video.    I knew I did that.  What a mess cutting. 

Thanks to both of you I'm gonna check it out Monday when I get to the store. Would be nice for making window displays for sales, etc.

I'm running a booth at a flea market this weekend and a vendor was selling large sets of pens - like 20± in assorted colors for $4. I was going to buy some for my button coloring table - until I noticed they weren't 'Sharpie' brand, they were actually 'Sharpei' brand, but otherwise looked exactly the same...

I've used the Sharpei, don't make my mistakes. The ink almost pours out when you write and fades super fast. I left all of mine on my desk when I did the flea market full time waiting for them to get stolen 1 by 1 and hoping no one returned them.

Hi All,

3) If I bought a 24" or 28" model and wanted to print on 6" X 8" card stock does anyone see any issues with the material being too small?

4) Is there anyone here in the Atlanta area that is running a business with one of these machines that can pen plot. I'd like to see if this will work before buying a machine. Obviously I'd pay for time.

I have a P-Cut that I have as back-up at this point. If you are drawing the lines (text) that you want the machine to trace it will do that but the pen tool that come with it is just a ball point pen. I think there are felt tip attachments that could be made to work and maybe available from USCutter or as simple as the holder is you can probably fab up something to get by with. As far as the font, if it is a true font then your cutter will see this as a wire frame image and trace the outer edges of the letters. With the correct pen type, maybe a sharpie style with caligrafic point you could simulate someone writing out letters and look reasonably close to hand written IF YOU HAVE A SINGLE LINE TO REPRESENT THE TEXT. Using a font won't get you there with a plotter but on card stock that small you should be able to print what you are looking for easier. There are tons of hand written fonts that look pretty much like someone just wrote it with a pen or marker. Most of us cut these kinds of things out of vinyl and the cutter/plotter is going to be more useful for that type of thing.