johnnybravo

PLEASE HELP - Been cutting for two years, now have to re-install drivers

Hi guys, after using my Refine MH-721 for the past 2 years on my windows xp PC, I have had to re-format the OS and can't for the life of me remember how I set the drivers up. I shall try to include as much info as possible.

WINDOWS XP SP3 - I would design the artwork in vector graphics software, then export as .cmx files. I would then load these .cmx files into Coreldraw 12, convert everything to hairline outlines and cut through 'Print'. This has served me extremely well and I have cut huge signs/graphics using this. I was using the USB connection, always.

DRIVERS - My cutter was set up as a Printer using the Roland GX-500 drivers.

I have all the drivers still saved but here is my problem:

When I connect my cutter to the PC, it shows under Device Manager as 'USB2.0toSerial'. When installing the Roland drivers, it asks me for a COM port but I cannot then match this to what is in Device Manager as the Cutter isn't assigned a COM port. I'm sure it's a trivial/simple step I'm missing but it's been so long I can't remember.

Do I need to install the USB drivers first, followed by the Roland GX-500 driver?

I have everything I need already such as the drivers/software but can't remember how I actually set everything up.

I would appreciate urgent help, step-by-step guide, as I have a sign to install tomorrow. Thanks.

Mz SKEETER, just vaguely pointing people to something such as the START! link you posted is not very helpful. i have been through that umpteen times before resorting to posting.

When I connect my cutter to the PC, it shows under Device Manager as 'USB2.0toSerial'. When installing the Roland drivers, it asks me for a COM port but I cannot then match this to what is in Device Manager as the Cutter isn't assigned a COM port.

usually people forget to reinstal thd ftdi drivers for the usb/serial chips on the boards of the value cutters when they reload . . . .but here it is step by step in this under "instructional contributions".   will require some time to read it though . . . 
http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/16167-manual-for-new-bie-how-to-start-from-nothing-to-your-first-cut/