SellersSign&Design

Files Won't Open

I have several important files that won't open all of the sudden. They are SCAL files but when I click to open them it says it can't open them because the files may be corrupt or invalid. Any ideas???

yeah that happens to me when i try to open directly from the file. Are you opening the program then opening the file? Thats the only way I can get a SCALP file to open.

For everyone (myself included) the best advice anybody can give you is always save your files in a universal format like .svg or .eps although this does not apply directly to your problem if you get frustrated and switch to another program to work with at a later date all files saved as scalp proprietary filetype will need to be opened and exported as a more universal filetype individually to work with any other program. I go through this daily because of the 5000 plus files I have saved they are all corel and I have to import them and then export as .eps to send them to flexi to cut. Had to do the same but to .svg to cut in scalp when I use it. So if you're just starting out or have a relatively small image library now would be a great time to start saving in a more universally accepted file type.

I tried opening the program and opening the file and also opening from outside of the program. This is the second time this has happened. Is there any way to recover it?

Maybe you could send it to someone on here in an email...  Maybe they could have better luck.. and can save it as an .eps file.  I don't use Scalp.

You might try copying the file to a different hard drive or a thumb drive and open it from the new location.

I'm having the same issue- I think it started on the more recent updates as I don't remember this before. I had to stop a couple of files because I forgot to change my origin point and I was cutting off of the vinyl. After stopping the file, SCALP said it had an error and closed. It corrupted the whole file. Then- my computer crashed a few days later.

I have gone to saving my cutter files to a jump drive and them copying one to the desk top to use. I am keeping one on a memory stick (or jump drive) and running from a copy.