shainad21

Some work, mostly tshirts

Been doing vinyl about a year now, come to this site regularly for advice. Figured it was about time to post some of my stuff for critique... Be nice, but be honest. Majored in art, so I can take "constructive" advice  :rolleyes:

post-19392-0-11927100-1374548759_thumb.p

post-19392-0-97750600-1374548803_thumb.p

post-19392-0-45148700-1374548838_thumb.p

• Like 3

Great work! It looks like you definitely have a good eye for this. Curious what cutter you are using, the small details on 4 of the shirts is impressive.

Thanks, everyone! Ted - At the moment I'm using a Mimaki CG-60st. Would love to upgrade as soon as I can afford it but this one has worked well for me so far.

Oh really, is your Mimaki giving you trouble? I don't have any experience with one but had thought of them to be high end machines. The detail you have cut out looks to be very good, better then my Laser Point cutter can do.

I hadn't had any trouble with it until lately... the last couple of days to be exact. But, then, it's an old machine that I bought used and not sure exactly how used it was when I got it, and it's several years old. So, I guess the wear and tear will get to anything eventually. Looking into buying another 24" cutter before long, maybe sooner than later if I can't get this thing fixed, so any recommendations would be great, as well lol.

Let me be the first -- Graphtec and if out of your budget buy the very best you can afford.

MZ SKEETER knows what's what and I would try her suggestions before doing anything rash.

Nice stuff :) . I don't care for the water drop outline on the In Memory decal though . I use a solid heart and a heart outline ( SignBlazer library ) for those .

edit ; just looked at it again and figure that is a tear drop ??

Still attempting to fix the cutter, but still having major issues with it at the moment. I've been working 3 straight days on it and have only been able to get it to work correctly maybe 3 times, then with the next cut it is off again. Thinking something is warped or unlevel somehow, but now sure if there's any way to fix it. Used different types of vinyl, different blades, new and old, 45 and 60 degree, changed offset, speed, pressure, blade exposure, placed vinyl over cutting strip, turned it over and reapplied it, removed it completely, and no combination of any of these things seems to get me anywhere at all. It's rather frustrating.

Rodger: Yes, the drop is a teardrop. Was one of the first decals I ever cut, as you can tell from the bubbles. I attempted two layers before I knew what I was doing, lol. I've used several different shapes for outlines for In Memory cuts, usually the customer has something in mind so I just go with it and make it look the best I can.

See if there is any type of material, dust, etc, in the track where the white wheels from carriage head roll.  Maybe take a cloth and wipe that area.  Maybe the wheels are rolling up over something. 

Also check your wheels for broken or cracked.   Check carriage head for cracks.   Blade holder arm

I took the whole front off and checked underneath the rollers and everything, thinking maybe something was lodged and raising them up, causing it to cut deeper in some places, but still no luck. Checked everywhere I knew to check for small pieces of vinyl or anything like that and can't seem to see anything that looks amiss...

Would moisture have caused something this extreme all of a sudden? The machine sat in my shop over the last couple months without being used much, and we've had a ridiculous amount of rain, but other than that, nothing has changed to have caused it to just start acting up since the last use.

Anything is possible but I doubt it is moisture. These machines like any other kind are affected by dust, moisture, age, wear and tear. I see you have inspected the machine for noticeable issues but I would start by looking at it again. Use a small mirror and try to look at the parts from ever angel. Feel the rollers and other parts to check for breaks, cracks and warp-age.

Is there a pattern or area that the problem is in? One side of the cutter or every few inches?

After getting the blade properly set it should not be able to cut more than it is supposed to, what is it doing now? 

http://www.digi-plott.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/CG-60st-manual.pdf

After changing the blade and setting it, I can put as much pressure as I want and it still won't cut all the way into the vinyl to make it weed-able (is that a word?) in places. Doesn't really seem to be a pattern, because it's different spots in the design that are cut correctly each time that I cut it. So... I'm guilty of giving up, and using it as an excuse to get a new toy. Had some money saved that was supposed to go for college, but I graduated this year and didn't have to use much of it due to scholarships, so I used it on a new machine... should be here on Monday :)

But thanks again to everyone who gave advice, I learned a lot about what I was doing wrong all along, even if it didn't help me fix this one it should help me get more out of the new one.

• Like 1

After changing the blade and setting it, I can put as much pressure as I want and it still won't cut all the way into the vinyl to make it weed-able (is that a word?) in places. Doesn't really seem to be a pattern, because it's different spots in the design that are cut correctly each time that I cut it. So... I'm guilty of giving up, and using it as an excuse to get a new toy. Had some money saved that was supposed to go for college, but I graduated this year and didn't have to use much of it due to scholarships, so I used it on a new machine... should be here on Monday :)

But thanks again to everyone who gave advice, I learned a lot about what I was doing wrong all along, even if it didn't help me fix this one it should help me get more out of the new one.

Are you going to keep us in suspense or tell us what you ordered?

Thought I'd let you guess  B)

I bought the Graphtec CE-5000 bundle on here (Apparently just in time because I just noticed that it isn't on sale today, but was last night when I ordered it).

Also went ahead and got the FlexiStarter v10 software with it, because the dinosaur of a computer that came with the old machine when I bought it just wasn't cutting it anymore (no pun intended).

Did you inspect the cutting strip? Over time they get valleys and gutters that effects the blades pressure and it drops off at those points. Bet it was time to replace. Mute point now... enjoy the new plotter.