abullock22

iron on vinyl for tshirts

I normally just do vinyl decals but a friend is asking for some tshirts designed for a party. I know of iron on vinyl - can that be cut in my graphtec? I dont know to much about the tshirt side of things - can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

You don't need the EasyWeed Stretch for T-shirts, you want the regular EasyWeed.

I use the stretch because I like the way it preforms better.  I used both the regular and the stretch.... the stretch is better in my opinion and does not cost that much more.

thanks - so i just load it in the cutter and iron it on - simple as that? what about transfer tape - do i need any?

Also, it is best to use a heat press with EasyWeed, but I have heard that people have used a regular household iron with good results.

Siserna has been on here and stated that an iron can be used. I still prefer a press for temp control and consistent results. No app tape  the carrier the siser is made on acts as it's own app tape. You just mirror the image and cut on the dull side, weed like vinyl and apply to shirt.

You cut it like regular vinyl, but you have to "mirror" the image in your software before cutting. You do not use a transfer tape.

There are probably a lot of videos on Youtube on it.

And like all addictions it can get expensive fast. ;D ;D ;D  But the high is worth the price, honest.

you will forget to mirror ocationally - even if you do it for years. so don't feel bad when it happens - it happens to all of us

• Like 4

And when grabbing smaller pieces to use you will cut the shiny side at least once or ten times.

• Like 4

Be very careful tho.... It can become addicting!

I've never done crack but I'm assuming It's the same type jones. Right now I'm in a love hate relationship with vinyl. I just finished weeding thirty shirts with quarter inch text, I thought I was going to have a seizure.

thanks guys so siserna vinyl is what I should use - and i can iron it on with a regular iron? - im only doing 5 so its hardly mass production, but want to make sure I can use my iron - i dont have access to a heat press.

"Siser" is the brand name.

Might be worth it to buy a heat press. They're cheap enough  (starting at $149)

You'll likely get lots of use from having one in your workspace, producing tshirts as part of your routine, once people find out you can do them.

Here's a video from SiserNA on how to apply Easy Weed using a normal iron.

When weeding, you want to pick out the centers of all your letters first, then go back and weed away the excess. Because it's on a sticky carrier, if you weed away the exterior first, then it will stick to your hands when you try to pick out the centers and it gets rather annoying and slows you down...

For a cover sheet, you can use parchment paper (from the grocery aisle where you find wax paper and aluminum foil), or just use a piece of backing paper off of some vinyl you've installed - that's what I use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjoWiIwU_yg

nice tip on the vinyl backing paper for the heat press.  It never crossed my mind.  I use parchment paper currently.  

nice tip on the vinyl backing paper for the heat press.  It never crossed my mind.  I use parchment paper currently.  

works great for sublimation cover paper also - saves the butcher paper - giving the backing a second use

I bought 3 long rolls of backing paper off of Oracal Oraguard Laminate from Scott/DakotaGrafx for a lot less than it would have cost for an equivalent amount of parchment paper...

I also use it for adding a backer to the rhinestone designs - the heat transfer tape I bought doesn't come with a backer, so I'm getting lots of use out of those rolls...

I started saving some of my backer for sublimation after reading Scott's suggestion and it works fine but more importantly it's free.

hey guys so thanks very much for your help on this - I finally had chance to test out the siser iron vinyl for a tshirt for myslf and it worked like a charm!

couple of questions though - how do you align your designs? I couldnt tell if i was putting on the text at an angle and also how long do you leave your tshirt to cure before you can wear it out?

2013-07-25215512_zps7e15c194.jpg

2013-07-25215453_zps54b80146.jpg

In the winter I wear them straight off the press (nice and warm on a cold day) We align by making sure the shirt is straight on the press (measure shoulder seam to press on both sides) then we use the press to measure off for the graphic.