dennismc42

How to layout for print..

Hello everyone.

I usually only do cutting, but the company I am working for asked me to do a job that I have to have printed.

Its a simple logo in the middle of a white strip. (60: long by 8 tall) i have the logo as a eps with a transparent background. It will be printed on white. My local printer needs me to send him a ready to print and cut file for my wholesale pricing. Problem is  i do not know how to lay it out with cut lines and all..

its two prints, one is 60x8 and the other is 70x8. Both the same.

Anyone have any links to how tos for layout design for this? I know its being printed on a 30" wide roll so it will fill both on it.

Thank you

dennis

Just put yout text in a clear box in the right dimentions - that will give him something to contour around (or you can also add the contour line around it before sending it.)  I have people do it both ways - not sure how specific your printer is.  The gist is he doesn't have to resize or move the text in the box so any error threre is on you not him.  the more handling or fixing he has to do cost you more money.

Dakota,

Its not text, I have a logo that has to be centered on two white vinyl strips.

Need to make these, This is my proof artwork for them... (I actually work for the company and doing them a favor on getting this done for them.)

post-42402-0-25579800-1374238917_thumb.j

verizonwireless_logo_lr.eps

Make a rectangle in vector like you're gonna be cutting it. Position your logo in the appropriate area  within in the logos and save to their preferred format. Since the white is the actual material they are printing on no fill color is needed for the rectangle.

Jay

• Like 1

Hate to be the guy to mention the copyright issue but I have some experience with Verizon. I am assuming this is for a Verizon authorized premium retailer and not a corporate office. Either way they are supposed to order their signage from an special order website from Verizon. All signage inside and out of the store has to be in compliance with the latest Verizon layout or the store will get dinged. Verizon employs representatives that go to every location and check for compliance and employee training / knowledge. 

Just don't want to see you get any hassle from The big V so make sure you get something in righting from your customer but that is no guaranty if they don't have the authority to get these signs made.

If you get it in righting I think they would be hard pressed to find a court to find against you since a verizon store paid you for a verizon sign. Now the store may have their  hands full with corporate for going outside channels but really that is a contract issue between the two of them. Just get it spelled out in writing on verizon letterhead before you do any work.

What I am saying is that there are companies that own these stores and cell Verizon service. Go WIreless, 4G Wireless, and so on. They are authorized to sell Verizon products and services but have to comply to their guidelines. So even if a person gets a letter from Go Wireless giving them permission to print a Verizon logo it might not mean diddly.

Just wanted to put it out there in case the OP hadn't thought about it and can possible get a letter if he hasn't already. 

Ted, I get what you're saying which is why I sad Verizon letterhead. If it's on corporate letterhead you should have no problems and if they wrongfully acquired that letterhead that is their legal obligation not your. I believe that corporate letterhead would easily protect you from any legal issues.

• Like 1

Corp isnt an issue, we are an indirect. Just need to get it printed. And having a hell of a time figuring out the layout. Abotu ready to just have a ionline company do it for me. 

Its a simple layout, but i am not used to doing it...

All you need is a rectangle outline the size of the finished product with you image placed inside it where you want it to be printed. Save as eps and done.

post-40404-0-99835300-1374455542_thumb.j

Here is what I have so far.

also these are the instructions from the print house on doing cut lines for them..

make a new layer called CutContour

Copy outline of image and paste it on the cutcontour layer (the layer must be named CutContout)

Select all shapes and "Unite" to make one shape

change to 100% Magenta add to swatches, the swatch name must be CutContour and changed to spot color

sofar.pdf

post-42402-0-42454700-1374497423_thumb.j

At this point some one with illustrator may need to chime in due to the terminology difference between that and Corel.

Your cut contour is just going to be your white box, correct? So just move it to the CutContout layer and make it magenta and you should be good to go.

I guess I'm not clear on the contour cut instructions. The instructions they are giving you by uniting and changing the color and puting it all in the separate layer folder should create a shape the same size as the design. I don't print/contour cut so some of the proceedures are not in my area of experience but this is going to produce a cut line exactly on the edge of the design. I was always under the understanding that typical contour cutting was either just inside the color or just outside but rarely exactly on the line so that a little variance could be accounted for but maybe they do it differently. 

As far as set-up on the file I would probably do two separate files. I typically set up my artboard to the size I want. If you already have the file built you can click the artboard adjustment button and resize it from there. If you are trying to do both on one file it may cause problems. They should be able to print and contour two separate files onto one print job. You might ask about bleed settings. Another helpful thing I do is pull up rulers from the view menu and switch them into whatever increment you are working in such as inches (right click on the actual ruler and it will give you the options for various measurement types) If you do this it will switch all the measurement tools to follow that type of number so if you are working in inches you can click on an object and see what size it is, etc. Basically I size the artboard to the size I need the final output to be abd then resize the graphics to fit that and save it as the proper size. You will need to do this once for each size.

also be sure when you do the copy past thing into the other layer that you use the past command from the edit menu like paste in place or paste in front/back kind of thing to be sure it pastes exactly in the correct spot.

I don't know if any of this helps you at all but hopefully it will. Good luck!

I have printed many upon many pieces for Verizon and many other small franchise shops such as this. Satellite and Cable companies generally 3 jobs a week. The end customer pays you and corporate pays them in most cases.

As with most franchise work the it is the franchises responsibility to submit the artwork prior to installation and being approved for copay before any work should be done. Otherwise corporate may not issue the copay on the work. 

If said franchise is either out of copay dollars for the year or wishes to take the expense fully themselves it is just that. Them being a retailer have said rights to use and display the images in question within the franchise guidelines.

The big question here is are they directly a franchise of Verizon or WorldWide Wireless, who owns most of them? Either way will not affect you at all as the guidelines are set and governed by the same parent entity. 

Print it and collect. Simple as that.