Sign in to follow this  
dkhochhalter

Transition from SB to new software

I've had SB for 7 years now and I'm ready to pitch it! I'm sick of the prehistoric everything and the count down to 300+. Time for something new!

I'm in the market for a new plotter and software. How do I go about converting all my old sb files to the new software? Is there one software better than another that will recognize SBD files?

As for the new software, I want the most modern vectorizing technology out there. Is there one that will easily vector .eps docs?

Please advise...

Thanks for your help. You guys have been here for me since I was a rookie. I appreciate it.

Katie

I don't think anything else recognizes sbd files = save all work as .eps and you will be good to go

Inkscape.org is Free,   a lot of people use it...for vectoring..

Plotter?  what is your budget?  I and most will say, purchase a Graphtec or a Roland if it's in your budget. 

As for cutting get the best you can afford. The rule is you get what you pay for.

Jay

Yep, exporting it as an .eps worked.

Again, I'll have to do this to each file individually? No easy way around it, huh? Another question- I don't have another sign software to test it, but when I open the file into my new software, will it be editable? For example, can I change the font?

If you post a file I have a couple different programs here and can check to see if font is still editable.

will have to save them individually that is why I always save mine as .ps - very universal.  I personally like ve-lxi master plus from signwarehouse  - for somewhere around $600 you will get everyting in flexi pro except the rip feature for large format printing and i hate thier rip anyways.  $600 as opposed to 2800. no brainer for me.  on the cutter like skeeter said I would go with a graphtec or roland.  the graphtecs are easy to use - cut small stuff incredibly well.  the only advantage to the roland is for contour cutting - I have had both and keep a graphtec for the nice fine cuts.  I have a roland printer/cutter for other things

We all have personal preferences when it comes to software. For me I use corel X3 to design in and either flexi starter or sure cuts a pro depending on which cut station I'm using. Also have signblazer installed to help others with on occasion .

• Like 1

it must  be saved as a shape not a font -- I can select it and move the text but it is not editable as text for me

there's a patch for SignBlazer to get rid of the nag count up screen.