dfw_yup

Adjusting blade starting point

Is there any way to adjust where on my object the blade starts its cut? For instance, I cut out small odd and somewhat rounded shapes and about 1/4 of my shapes are scrapped due to the blade being in the wrong orientation when it's initially plunged in to the shape to cut. Some cuts are fine as the blade was already turned in the right direction and it doesn't make that small sideways or angled slash as it's first set in the material.

The problem is this blemish is always in the worst absolute spot on the shape and could likely be unnoticed if it could be located right on a corner or other specific spot. Is there any way for me to specify the point where the cutter sticks the blade in? If SB doesn't allow this is there another software that does?

Or any other suggestions to fix this?

Thanks a ton!

Hmmmmmmm, he is asking about SignBlazer setup adjustments, and gets a suggestion to buy a new cutter with a list price of only $4,395.00.   :-\

In the SBE cutter setup window, there are options for Cut Direction and Cutter Tracking, both of which could very well alter the parameters of where the cuts start.

Also, perhaps try to Rotate Across Vinyl?

Worth trying.

I would seriously consider applying a drop or two of 3-in-one oil into the blade holder and/or checking to see if perhaps a microscopic bit of material isn't lodged in there, preventing the blade from freely spinning. That's happened to me more than once, and it results in tears instead of clean cuts.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pick up some 3 in 1 oil tomorrow--I think that will really help.

I'll poke around in the SB setup again. I really wish there was a way for me to click on the exact starting spot though.

As far as the plotter--the Graphtec just aint gonna happen, regardless of how perfect it would be for PPF. I know the SC isn't ideal but it's what I have to work with.

By the way, have you checked to make sure that you don't slide the right-hand pressure roller all the way over to the right until it hits the set-screw stop position? The SC has a factory defect (well, mine did, and I assume that the Chinese manufacturer made the same error on all production units) whereby the set-screw on the rear rail is actually too far over, and that allows the first pressure roller assembly to slide to a point where it's NOT coming into contact with the lower grit roller and misses it.

I have previously posted about this issue several times in these Forums, including this photo of the problem, indicating the point where you can slide it all the way to the right (green arrow) until it stops on the set-screw, and you'll have problems -- -- only go as far as the blue arrow, so it stays in contact correctly with the grit roller.

DSCF1847.JPG

• Like 1

I'll have to look at that more closely in the morning but I do know that I keep the roller over the grit part. I actually added a layer of electrical tape over the grit roller to eliminate roller marks in the material. It actually works great and holds the material very well. The tape eliminates the harshness of the metal grit. The bunching was happening before I made this change too, even with the roller pressure cranked up to full.

Have you adjusted your offset? Won't completely fix the problem but may help reduce it.

Have you checked to make sure all the pressure rollers are turning freely? Use a good amount of pressure when you check them, sometime things will move freely with no pressure on them but not when there is.

Didn't even think about that, but rollers do spin freely with high load. 

It seems as though this is a common problem among plotters--having the blade be turned the wrong way when it's inserted in to the material.  Some of my larger size jobs hide the blemish because it's such a big piece but other jobs require the small piece to be perfect.  I did see a suggestion on a Graphtec forum to have the blade make a small straight line cut next to the piece to help align the blade before it's plunged in to the material.  I might give that a shot.

Have you checked your blade length?  Possibly too much blade extended out of the blade holder. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.  You should only be seeing the tip of the blade out of the blade holder.

I've been cutting for around 5 years now in various materials and have never seen what you describe happen unless the blade was not rotating freely in the holder either due to trash in the holder or in need of lubrication.

same here,  I have never had that problem,, he should only be cutting with the tip of the blade, and blade should spin freely,

• Like 1

Also make sure the tip of the blade isn't broke.  I use a cheap 10X loupe to make sure the tip is in good shape, I have even had a new blade with a broken tip.  I also use the loupe to look inside the blad holder to made sure a small piece of vinyl isn't stuck in there.

The bunching was happening before I made this change too, even with the roller pressure cranked up to full.

I would also try a lot less pressure on the rollers, not sure why you have so much pressure unless becuase you are using the black tape it slipping , which I would also get rid of (tape) ...

post-2057-0-53757300-1373556382_thumb.jp

Thanks, I'll try those things in the morning. The blade depth right now is set so low that there is zero marking on the backing liner--any less blade and it starts to get hard to weed. I have a couple new Clean Cut blades that will be here tomorrow so I'll just use that as a good chance to reset the whole blade setting process and apply a little of the 3 in 1 oil.

The pressure on the rollers was in response to someone asking me to check them while under pressure--as in when I spun them I pressed on the roller very hard with my fingers. The pressure of the roller when cutting is actually very low and it holds very well with the tape. The liner of the Xpel PPF is a poly liner, so I think it may help it hold better than a paper liner would with the mentioned tape over the high grit rollers.

Thanks for the replies guys!!

zlooks like you are on the right track  - keep it up.   Has been fun reading thsi thread after taking ambien-cr about 30 minutes ago - the words are moving in and out whioe going up and down - neat dance in a 3D theatre,   the letters seem to float aroound in groups like cherios in a boal.   will stop back tomorrow to see if they landed in any wasy that is reational or even readable.    Good night all.

Party at dakotagraphics from 1 till at least 6 - lots and lots of food.  Just look for the Big Guy.  officially my daughters graduation party but I am sure we can tuun it into a good time for all   - Hoosiers, Cheeseheads, Bucknuts, Canooks, all welcome

Slice & Dice, thanks for that tip regarding the SC.  I just looked at mine that I purchased last month & it is same as you described.  This tip may save me some frustration in the future.

Cal