A customer contacts me asking if I can make two signs to go on their rear windshield. They already have an eps of their logo. Easy two color job. She also asks if I can make an hours sign for her store. We agree on a price for everything, she pays with PayPal, I make her signs and ship them to her. She emails me that she is super sad the decals were made to go on the outside of the glass. She says "Everyone I had reached out to was a deal inside the window looking out... These decals will not last very long on the doors or windows being its so hot.. I was under the impression the vinyl was on the inside not to be tampered with.  Let me know if there is anything we can do."

How would you respond?

Depending how big the job was... a smaller job I'd just make them over on a larger job I ask them to pay for supplies

And probaly do it over anyway if they refused.

I just had this happen to me and I just did it over at no cost... But 2 days later the biz next door called said they got my info from them and I got a $900 job from them

MM64 B)

• Like 1

I would explain that utraviolet light degrades the adhesive when installed on the inside but in they wanted it that way I'd charge material only and since it goes against the manufacturers suggestions I can accept no responsibility for longevity.

• Like 4

I have never understood the reasoning on the installing on the interior probably misguided information on the customers side. The outdoor life is what you could expect for a minimum. You could always upsell to a higher quality premium vinyl . The uv rays degrade the vinyl more than the weather. The premium vinyl last very well on cars in hot cold and harsh road conditions therefore should last even longer on a window or door. But replacement is just good business sense.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the input.  I explained to her about about standard procedures and the hazards of installing on the inside of the glass.  I offered to redo the whole job (8 linear feet of vinyl) at cost plus shipping. 

Going forward,  I guess I should explain up front the vinyl is cut for the outside of the glass.

Thanks for sharing this experience.  As a real newby this is quite helpful.

Cal

Not trying to highjack the thread but, is there a type of vinyl that can be installed on the inside of windows?

Sure is.

All of it. Just mirror before you cut. Won't look as good.

won't look as good and the adhesive is not uv resistant like the vinyl so make sure to tell them there is no warranty on the product installed that way - got that straight from the oracal rep at a show years ago

won't look as good and the adhesive is not uv resistant like the vinyl so make sure to tell them there is no warranty on the product installed that way - got that straight from the oracal rep at a show years ago

This is true, but most modern glass contains a UV blocking agent, so it may not fail that much sooner - and it depends on how much direct sunlight the window will be facing - North or South being longer lasting than East or West...

Southern facing is the fastest fading that there is. My living room faces south and the sun comes in all day long.