NickiZ

Cutter Upgrade

Currently I use a Silhouette Cameo (just getting started).  I recently completed a 3' x 4' double sided coroplast sign order (12 of them).  Kind of a pain when I can only cut 12" width.  So - here's my question.  If I were to upgrade to a 24" cutter what kind of a learning curve am I looking at?  Anyone else upgrade from a silhouette to a larger cutter?   Would love to hear your do's, don'ts, tips and advice.  Thanks in advance!

you have tackled the hardest part learning your way around vector graphics - now upgrade to a graphtec and set your self free from the limitations - 

I have the US Cutter SC and the thingdoes everything I have asked it to do and then some.  I dont have much to compare it too but I'm very pleased so far.

If you can afford it Graphtec or Roland. I finally stepped up this year and couldn't be happier.

Jay

Would love a Graphtec or a Roland - but that is definitely not in the budget just yet.  Was looking more at the MH series here on USCutter website.

haven;t tried a sc but I would try that over the current version of the mh series.  watch cl for a great deal on roland or graphtec = you may be surprised.  I snagged a fc-4100 a couple of years ago for $175.00  - one of the best cutters I have used, heavy as a tank but great cutter

Don't waste $$$ on mh, better to save for better model even if not top of the line.. There are more posts on here for mh problems I'd bet than any other cutter.

Gotta agree with you there, Jay. Plenty of problems with that cutter.

Once again I have to say, "If you want a brand new cutter and can't afford the Roland or Graftec, Get the LYLU TC."

This is a Great cutter from the Value line, with few complaints and a Great price.

I have the SC from UScutter as well.  Not a bad machine for the price.

GCC makes some good cutters too. Look for a cutter with servo motors.

I have the MH, and we've had great luck with it so far.  I was very worried, reading about all of the problems that others have had, but I don't regret the decision to buy it.  We've already made our money back on it, and then some... Eventually I'd love to upgrade, but I have no complaints so far.

First off, remember that there are far more poeple happy with their MH cutters than unhappy. You mostly only hear about the problems on the forum...

Now, back before I bought my cutter, I spent months reading most of the posts on this forum. The general opinion back then was skip the MH and buy a PCut. So I did and have been happy ever since. It's the same cutter as the Laserpoint ( LP I, not LP II). Almost all PCut owners are happy with them. Also now, USC has the SC line. I have no experience with them.

The bottom line advice is always "Buy the best cutter you can afford" and that holds true.

As far as you getting used to a big cutter? Well, you didn't mention what software you use as most of the work is through the software. Once set up, the cutter just cuts... The only real differences would be how the vinyl loads and setting the offset in the software and blade depth, pressure and speed on the cutter. It all should take no more than 20 minutes and you'll be on your way.

The two big issues that I know of will be putting the stand together (no decent directions) and trying to decide between a 24" or 36" ;-) And yes, buy a stand with the cutter!!!

Good luck and have fun!

Definitely buy a stand, regardless of what cutter you decide to go with!   I can't even imagine doing these jobs, without one.  I originally began my cutting using a Wishblade, and then a Cricut, both for 95% paper projects due to my scrapbooking addiction!  We did a few small projects out of vinyl, using those cutters, but hubby wanted to make a business of cutting vinyl, so that's when we upgraded to the MH.  As I said, we've been very happy with it, and it didn't take any adjusting at all, to go from those other cutters, to this one.  Learning the cutting software is the biggest challenge, and I knew a decent amount about that, from doing my paper cuts... which I'm sure you do as well.

Thanks!  The software I'm using now is a mix between the Silhouette software for cutting, and Corel Draw X5 for designing.  Sometimes I pull Digital Image into the mix too - just depends on what I want to do.  But for cutting - I mainly use the Silhouette software and it basically does it all for me.  I wonder - does the SCALP program work with Silhouette - that maybe I could get a copy of the program to play around with?

It seems that I had heard that it doesn't work with "hobby cutters" like those anymore.  I know that I used to use it on my Wishblade & on my Cricut, but they changed things.  So, I'm really not sure.  I find it a pretty easy program to feel my way around though, so if you waited until you upgraded your cutter, to get the program, I still think you'd be fine and pick it up pretty quickly.

Thanks!  The software I'm using now is a mix between the Silhouette software for cutting, and Corel Draw X5 for designing.  Sometimes I pull Digital Image into the mix too - just depends on what I want to do.  But for cutting - I mainly use the Silhouette software and it basically does it all for me.  I wonder - does the SCALP program work with Silhouette - that maybe I could get a copy of the program to play around with?

Here is the list of supported cutters from the UScutter website.

This software will work with the following cutters:
  • USCutter Series (MH, Creation PCut, Laserpoint I and II, SC, TC, Copam)
  • Graphtec CE5000
  • Graphtec CE6000
  • Black Cat Cougar/Lynx
  • eCraft
  • Gazelle
  • Pazzles Inspiration
  • Silhouette SD
  • Silhouette Cameo
  • Silver Bullet

I got the Silver Bullet for Christmas last year  & to be honest I havent had alot of time cutting with it but set up was easy  the cut I did with it cut like butter! I upgraded from an expression to a p-cut & now this. I liked the Silver Bullet b/c its a "craft' cutter as well as a pro cutter. I can do paper crafting & engraving as well as vinyl. You should check out their videos & forums. They have great support too!