foxer10

Wet install problem, Oracal 651 AT60

Ive had some experience doing small decals for cars with great success. Dry install and all.

Im doing a job now that requires large logos/text on window/door for a store front.  I did wet install for the first time and was not expecting to have so much trouble as im having now. Im using Oracal 651 with clear AT60.  I did 1 drop of dawn to spray bottle, Hinged the vinyl, wet glass and vinyl.  Tried to peel off in 15mins and it pulls the vinyl.  Waited an hour and still did it but not as bad. How long do you let it dry?  I feel  the problem is either the AT60 is too high tack, or i used too much soap.  

I left some other vinyls on the glass (not removing app tape) overnight.  When I went in to peel them out this morning, it left adhesive goop from the AT60 on the vinyl.  Any ideas to help improve the install?  Im i using the wrong app tape, wrong vinyl?  

Robert

You should use paper transfer tape with wet install.   You cannot get the water out of clear transfer tape.

Yes I and many others on the forum only use paper tape. The app fluid is to give you time to adjust the placement and alignment. Once you have the vinyl where you want it squeegee over the app tape to get the fluid out. I use a store bought app fluid that has alcohol in it to aid in the dry time. You can add rubbing alcohol to your spray bottle as well  so that it will dry faster. I don't know it but there is a app fluid recipe on the forum under how to.

I learned this lesson the hard way, too - you can't use liquid and plastic tape in the same install unless you're extremely patient.  I had to peel it away a little at a time and squeegee towards the exposed area, then wait a little while and peel a little more.

This is one of those mistakes that you only make once...

• Like 1

I learned this lesson the hard way, too - you can't use liquid and plastic tape in the same install unless you're extremely patient.  I had to peel it away a little at a time and squeegee towards the exposed area, then wait a little while and peel a little more.

I think this is 1 we all learn the hard way. Mine was on a windshield banner. 100 plus outside and I had to peel inch by inch and squeegee as I went and this was after waiting an hour.

lol, got that right. It got old very quickly

For me I have trouble if I use too much app fluid on things with small amounts of vinyl or a lot of detail. I spray it just enough to be a little forgiving and squeegee the heck out of it. One piece I did I soaked with fluid and spent an hour trying to get the vinyl to stick. The app tape turned soggy and wouldn't release from the vinyl. 

A trick I have learned is after the vinyl is placed and squeegeed, before you remove the app tape spray it with a little app fluid and let it sit for a minute. The tape will let go of the vinyl a little easier. 

• Like 1

I too had this problem on my first install..... clear tape (I was layering and thought it would be easier to see through) and home made app fluid with to much soap and not enough alcohol.....(is that a triple negative?)  Anyway.... sometimes you learn the hard way.  I now use paper tape, buy my app fluid and almost look like a pro now.

I have window tinting experience so I was used to making my own "juice" but in tint, we like a bit more soap and no alcohol.... we like it to be wet and slippery a bit longer to get the film worked just right.  (or at least I did)  

I have almost a full roll of app tape I haven't touched since...  don't know if it will ever get used

All the comments from you guys have all been learned the hard way for me too.  

I too had this problem on my first install..... clear tape (I was layering and thought it would be easier to see through) and home made app fluid with to much soap and not enough alcohol.....(is that a triple negative?)  Anyway.... sometimes you learn the hard way.  I now use paper tape, buy my app fluid and almost look like a pro now.

I have window tinting experience so I was used to making my own "juice" but in tint, we like a bit more soap and no alcohol.... we like it to be wet and slippery a bit longer to get the film worked just right.  (or at least I did)  

I have almost a full roll of app tape I haven't touched since...  don't know if it will ever get used

What width? Looking for some 24" to experiment with for a frame for doing coroplast signs and hate to buy a new roll just to play with.

I recently discovered wet install, and have used it to do a banner, and for doing some smaller jobs that required layering.  I love it!  However, I tried to wet apply a decal to my truck (on the window) and followed the same procedure I used for the other wet apps... same vinyl, transfer tape, fluid- and it was a bear to get it to adhere on the glass once the vinyl had fluid on it.  I felt like I squeegeed it forever... so I'm not sure how to make the install on glass go more smoothly.  

We made our own fluid, we used 80% water, 20% alcohol and a drop or two of dish soap (Depending on the amount of app fluid you're mixing)

thanks for the % Ang. I was wondering that exact thing since i just tried wet method myself for the second time this week. The first time was a TOTAL disaster so i said i would NOT do it again- BUT i did and except having to wait to dry- impatient- i had NO BUBBLES. yippeee!!!! I was working on a glass cutting board like i posted before.

• Like 1