XabuJr

I don't get it... Vector won't cut how it looks..

My nephew created this EPS file for me, in vector format. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8471282/3JNew.eps

using this font:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8471282/Chunkfive.otf

Which I love, me and my wife.  However, when I load it into my sign cutting software it looks like this:

DamnCutter.PNG

That is obviously not how I envisioned it.  I want it to cut just like how it looks in the EPS. Any help or tips or tricks I can do to make that happen?? Like should I flatten it and then try a live trace?

I tried to open it with cs5 and it said it was done in a newer version so I couldn't open. Try saving back to an older ver. and someone will be able to look at it.

Bob

Here is a fixed copy. I just traced the font but it looks fairly close. The image had not been finished properly for cutting.

3Jeeps.com.eps

• Like 1

I can't see the images right now, but I'm guessing that the font did not come out the way you wanted? When the EPS file was created, there should be an option to convert text to paths, do that and then things should come out the way you want. The other option, you would need to install the desired font on your computer you are using to do the cutting.

Here is a fixed copy. I just traced the font but it looks fairly close. The image had not been finished properly for cutting

That is exactly it!  Awesome! So looking at the difference, it looks like the cutter wouldn't do the stroke as a cut, how do you turn the stroke into what you did?  Good info to learn..  

Thanks!!!

This is how I wanted it to look, and how it looks after Wildgoose's fix:

right.PNG

When you have a line/curve that is wider than the width of the blade, you need to convert the curve to a shape.  In CorelDraw the command is "Convert Outline to Shape", not sure what it is in other apps.  Cutting software ignores the widths you set for a line until you convert it to a shape/object.

That file was fine for a print job but all the lines have to be outlined and merged/welded and the text has to be converted to outlines. The lower part of the box was a separate item that had to be welded into the jeep shape that was behind it. I run CS5 also and couldn't open the native file but I was able to get preview to open the image and save it as a pdf which opened up in CS5 fine. I evidently don't have that lower font so I just traced it for a quick fix. If you blow this up real big it may have less perfect lines in the text but at normal size I think it will be fine.

I like this logo. I don't currently own a jeep but I have had 5 CJ5's, 2 Willy's and my last was a 93 Wrangler on one tons and 40's. I just ran out of play money and had to give it up. :-\

Just got a basketcase 68 CJ5 Sunday to start playing with. Like the logo you have.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, this is one of the many times that "Wireframe" view is crucial before sending to the cutter.  In wireframe mode you'll see that your thick lines turn into skinny lines if you haven't converted them to shapes...

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, this is one of the many times that "Wireframe" view is crucial before sending to the cutter.  In wireframe mode you'll see that your thick lines turn into skinny lines if you haven't converted them to shapes...

I saw it in the cutters mode, before sending it. I didn't hit cut, I use that to preview it.. Looks awesome cut now though.. 

Just got a basketcase 68 CJ5 Sunday to start playing with. Like the logo you have.

That's awesome! You should enter a picture of it in the contest we're throwing on Facebook :)