kburk

Adding curvature to a graphic Ai4??

Hello,

I'm making my son a glass using etching cream and a stencil. I just did a set of 24 with text and a logo for his whole team they worked out great. My issue is the graphic (Scooby Doo's gang) line drawing that I have I'm trying to add curvature to it to match the glass. When I use the arch tool it wont translate in to the outline so I can cut it. So you look in "Preview" and its arched you look "Outline" and its straight. So I'm guessing I'm using the wrong tool in Illy. Funny how the easy jobs you do for free make you work the hardest.  I can't upload the file it is too large its 2mb, Sorry. I added the pdf. I know I still need to do work to the file before it will cut but I'm trying to get the curve first.Thank you for the help..... :huh:

scooby doo's gang.pdf

That's cool, I would like to see one of the glasses.

Cal

Are you meaning the round curvature of the glass as in diameter or the glass has a larger diameter top/bottom ? I have good success with all sorts of curves making sure the vinyl is hot and the glass also , lets the vinyl stretch easier . I have never used your software , but there was a thread/post that described how to actually alter the measurments to make that easier . Not sure what software that was being used in that thread . I have hinged & cut parts then remove backing paper to apply decals part by part before , but too much of a pain . I use the constant size diameter glasses mostly because of that issue .

The glass is bigger on the top  3 1/4 smaller on the bottom 2 1/4 so a 1" taper.  The program I'm using is AI CS4. Really its just like making a cone.

I can easily do it with text but the graphic not so much. :huh:  The glass is just a pint sleeve.

thanks for the help

Agree with Roger in that, if it is a small amount of difference between the top and bottom of the glass, perhaps heat can solve the problem

Otherwise, to skew the graphic, I used Photoshop and Illustrator. Exaggerated a bit in this example:

ScoobyDooSkew.ai

Have I misunderstood or is this what you're trying to do?

EDIT>  OOps. You may need this version:

ScoobyDooSkew.pdf

YW :) . There was a thread about doing what you want to do ( couple years ago + or - ) . Skewing/Arching is not going to help imo . 1 peice of vinyl is going to have excess when applying . I have stuck the center of the decal 1rst & spread outwards , helps spread the stretching evenly . Hit and miss as far as wrinkles for me , that is why I use the dollar store stuff . A constant diameter  .

from my memory , it was either Jay or M500 that gave the advice on how to alter the decal to help apply .

thanks for the reply's guys.

Really when you have a long wide graphic and you place it on the glass it turns in to a happy face. So I was trying to figure out how to compensate for that. Make it  look straight by shrinking the bottom and enlarging the top so in affect you have a V shape.  Any bit of taper on a glass will do that for sure I'm just being picky B) .

With a graphic I'm not sure how to do this.

I will try the heat. Ill cut the Exaggerated graphic too and see what works the best.

thank you for the help.