Sign in to follow this  
WHIT72

Testing phase

So

I have been testing some shirts,100% cotton supposed to be pre-shrunk, how do you deal with shrinkage :ph34r:?  It seems after I wash the shirt the vinyl looks wrinkled and I can pull it off.  Im using thermoflex plus and following the instructions. 

Now I apply vinyl to a shirt I have alreay washed I have no issue once I wash and dry it again.  Im stumped,any suggestions?

Thanks

Sounds like your not using enough pressure with you vinyl or the heat isn't high enough.

Who's heat press?

What temperature?

What pressure?

Who's shirts?

It's a gecko heat press, I tried the recommended temp, then I tried 340, I used med pressure then I tried firm pressure , there Gildan heavy.

It looks like when the shirt shrinks the vinyl get creased, Idon't know I'm knew to all this.

The thing is when I use a shirt that had already been washed and dried, it looks great

I have had what you described 2 or 3 times and it was always with thermoflex. It was very random about when it would happen and I wouldn't find out until the customer brought it back but as long a I've stayed with siser this hasn't been an issue.

Siser also has an "Easy Weed Stretch.  I find that better than the plain easy weed.

Hope it helps you out. I've ran tons of Gildan but for the last year I've been selling Port & Co. shirts. We do dozens a week with siser and maybe 1 in 500 will have an issue. Can't complain about those #'s and I it weeds so much easier than thermoflex.

Would it be best to pre wash then? I can't make the shirt look new again by pressing it on the heat press. This is my first order, I don't want the dam things falling apart after they wash them

I have never prewashed a shirt and siserna says it is not necessary. I prepress for 3-5 seconds to remove moisture and wrinkles, line up my design and press for 20 seconds which I think is longer that recommended but I feel safer that way. Lots of pressure, the 2 problems you'll find doing shirts are 2 low temp and not enough pressure. If I can see the pattern of the material through the siser material I give it a pass and never have issuers like that.

Yeah I think pressure was an issue for me, I'm testing again now, I let you know good it goes.

Really appreciate the help guys

Whit

I never wash mine either.... I press twice tho.... the first time for about 8 seconds, just enough for it to stick so I can peel the clear part off.... then I put down a piece of parchment paper and press for the full 20 to finish it of GOOD!

I never wash mine either.... I press twice tho.... the first time for about 8 seconds, just enough for it to stick so I can peel the clear part off.... then I put down a piece of parchment paper and press for the full 20 to finish it of GOOD!

And I thought I was paranoid... I hot peel as soon as press opens and from experience if there is an adhesion problem it will show up immediately.

I guess I'm over-killing it then... I do a full 15 seconds, peel warm and then cover with backing paper and press for another 10 seconds...

Damn I feel like an amateur now. I can tell you this though I have done siser at 400' for 30 seconds as part of a job w/ dark transfer and it worked. Never had 1 complaint about letters sticking on that job.

Ok Im feeling better about this,  tested again at 340 degress for 20 secs, then peel hot then press for 10 secs with the teflon sheet.  Came out great. Washed and dried it no issue.

I was having my doubts but Im still switching to easyweed.

I prefer Thermoflex myself. Its just a preference but I do feel it has a much better hand and I also feel it is better weeding with the different backer than siser.  

The only way to make an informed decision is to try both. Personally the only time I use thermoflex is rush work because that's what my local guy sell but I hate weeding it. Applies w/ similar feel but the weeding kills me.

Wow! I have just been doing a single press! I will have to try the double tap method! I guess this is what my Momma meant when she said "shut up, and listen". Well actually, I think she may have been trying to teach me how to pay bills, er sumthin!!!

Ya, why the repress? Other than to gloss it up there is no reason for this and have never done it. And have never read anywhere it is recommended.  

I double press because it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside..... plus, I read it somewhere.  When I first started doing shirts, (making them just for me to test it out)  on occasion I would have a letter or something start to "lift" on an edge.  I researched and found 1.  My setting may not have been hot enough, 2. My pressure may not have been firm enough, and 3. someone mentioned the double press thing.... I just did all 3 and have not had anymore problems.  I didn't try and figure out what one thing caused the magic to happen.  The double press has just now become routine for me and doesn't bother me.  Plus, I get that warm fuzzy feeling assuring me the customer will not have any problems.

I press for the recommended time, then after that cover with parchment paper hit for 10 seconds and its good, haven't had issues with it falling off. However the metallics and glitters I have had issues with and don't know why. But that's also Stahls/cad cut direct and might be my error.

Siser also has an "Easy Weed Stretch.  I find that better than the plain easy weed.

You say 'better', x-man... I've considered trying it. Can you elaborate?

it tends to give and stretch more and feel more part of the shirt.  The regular feels more like vinyl ironed on to the shirt.  It is more noticeable on large pieces of art like graphics vs text.  If that makes any sense.  I like it more because of the way it feels on the garment.

Makes sense to me. We mostly use siser in designs and text where the actual pieces aren't that large but I can see what you mean.