xpaperman

Ideal storage temp for Oracal

I just about have my garage conversion finished.  I will be moving all my sign stuff etc out there.  I installed a window type air conditioner out there but only run it when I am out there.  So, at times, during the day, if I am not out there and the AC isn't running, it gets rather warm.  

I was wondering what the temp range is on unused vinyl.  If I store all my vinyl out there what is the warmest (and coldest) it could stand with out damaging it?

So far the high out there with no ac has been 88, but when I am out there I like it at 71.   I was wondering in case I need to start leaving the ac runn 24/7 (this is Texas btw) but maybe set it at 80 when I am not out there working or if it should be ok sitting in say 90 deg temps.

Thanks for input

I found a number on the internet... it appears 86 is the magic high number.  Didn't see anything on the low end for winter.....

Shelf life on the Oracal site says 2 years at 68 degree F. I would think that would be the optimum temp. Looking at the Temperature Resistance I think you're good although that is applied.

Shelf Life
(68 °F/50% relative humidity) 2 years

Temperature Resistance
adhered to aluminum, -40°F to +176°F no variation

Looked deeper and found this FAQ:

At what temperature do I store my rolls of Oracal® 651 and other Oracal® materials. Do temperature variations affect the vinyl film while still on the roll?

The self-adhesive products ORACAL®, ORAJET®, ORAGUARD®, ORABOND®, ORALITE®, and ORAMOUNT® are supplied in rolls and should at all times be stored either suspended or standing on end on the roll blocks provided, and never lying on the material side. For storage and processing they should be kept in a cool dry place protected from sunlight. Relative air humidity between 50% and 60% and temperature between + 64°F and 72°F should be ensured. Direct sunlight, storage beside radiators, etc. should by all means be avoided. Please observe the shelf life instructions contained in the technical data sheet available for each film at www.oracal.com.

Wow, that's a pretty narrow temperature range, I don't even keep my house that cool.

Wow, that's a pretty narrow temperature range, I don't even keep my house that cool.

I was just thinking the same thing.  If the house gets down to 72 (I like it) the wife and daughter are freezing.

Am I the only one that stores their vinyl inventory on it's side, and not standing on end?  Has anyone had any issues storing it this way?  I've never had an issue, but I'd rather NOT get to that point, either.  I wish we had a separate space to put our cutter and all of our supplies, but we don't.  So I try to store everything in a manner that takes up the least amount of space.  I guess I'm going to have to re-think my options.

I store mine laying down also. I try to leave them in the box which according to the site is OK. I just have too many to keep them all in their boxes.

My rolls are in the packing boxes w/ 1 end cut and a coro flap attached like a door. The flap is colored w/ scrap vinyl of the appropriate color and all are laying on their side with no problems so far. To answer the heat question when I started I was a permanent vendor at a flea market and all my stuff stayed there during the week in my unit (think metal storage unit) and I can guarantee it topped 140 on several occassion in the SC summer heat. Never had a heat related problem in over a year of doing that before I opened the store. Flea market vinyl didn't know what ac was so I guess it didn't know I was mistreating it.

Other than keeping the rolls seperate from each other, I don't really see how that rack setup is any better/worse than laying the rolls on a shelf. It does look nice though.

I think the point in not laying them on their sides, is to avoid flat spots?  The racks, put no pressure on any part of the vinyl.

• Like 1

I moved all my stock into spare room in house since garage is not air conditioned and to do so would mean 2-3K in renovations to insulate, so when I felt the heat increase, I even went with LARGE circular fan and leaving garage door open 1/7th opening and leave fan running even while at work, lots of warm air ......Having some 40 rolls including Holographic and mirror chrome rolls I again moved it as I stated early, as for laying on side well I have not incurred any flat spots and all are still in plastic bags and unused...We keep house at 76 and trtufully I have ceiling fans in spare work area soon spreading the cool is pretty good....I also brought in all 3 cutters as not to take chances as to what heat inclosed area can do to rollers, belts and so on...

Nice link although I've never had it happen after they've been in my store i have received them like that especially black and red and always wondered what caused it. From now on when I see this I'll re-roll looser and see what happens.

Nice link although I've never had it happen after they've been in my store i have received them like that especially black and red and always wondered what caused it. From now on when I see this I'll re-roll looser and see what happens.

Yes, I find it more on black, with any brand..  But I think it is just more noticeable on black..  and darker colors. 

I have used a hair dryer on it, if the band is narrow,  and can get it to disappear.  but I have seen some as wide as 3 inches.  I just cut that area off and use it for something else later.   When pre feeding black, to large lengths, I usually have to stop and cut a section off and start again to get a full section with no mottle.  I just roll those sections up for a a smaller order.  But It is coming from the companies that way.  They roll those rolls tight for shipping.  

I always thought it was just old vinyl now I know something new.

I have a Mitsubishi mr slim 30,000 btu installed in my garage this year. Keeps my garage nice and cool 71degrees in 100 degree days. It's a 19 seer and is quite efficient. Pricy but worth it as it provides heat too