Sign in to follow this  
TandysGraphics

Shipping with envelopes?

Hey guys, new to the whole cutting world (just got my cutter last week), love it so far.

I plan to expand a bit to the online world but have a question on shipping to give customers a fair price. My orders will mainly be car decals less than 11" wide.

Should I go with USPS first class and just mail them in an envelope or should i sandwich them between 2 pieces of cardboard, tape it up, and slap a label on it?

I was thinking about getting a #14 size envelope which is 5x11.5" which would be plenty tall and wide, but I am unsure if this will ship with just a $0.46 stamp on the corner since it is bigger than a normal envelope  :huh:

Also, what do you guys do for things that would be bigger than 11"? Roll them up and make a homemade triangle out of cardboard then USPS first class?

Any insight from you big online selling gurus would be great!

I use several different things...

Regular 4 1/8 x 9 1/2 inch ($.46)

6 x 9 (usually $.46 but if too heavy it goes up to $.66)

9 x 12 ($1.12 shipping)

Anything larger I have shipping tubes for that I buy online (Yazoo Mills).  Depending on the size, shipping is around $3.  Anything that requires the shipping tube I incorporate the cost of the shipping in the price of the decal.

We ship first class package with tracking for $1.69 for 3oz & less. Large go via Prioity & we use there free boxes.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Really helpful so far! I am assuming shipping with envelopes are safe then, no issues with bent decals or such?

I can't seem to find any good deals on #14 envelopes for only a 100 pk (instead of 500), so I am going to try those regular #10 envelopes 4 1/8" x 9 1/2" for now and make smaller decals.

I would never ship a decal without being between cardboard.  And I always use tracking.   No tracking means FREE item in this day and age.  Buyers look for that.. And you have to prove they got it...   So, how are you going to prove that your buyer really got the item?  Unless you want to just ship free decals or refund money to who ever claims they did not get their item.  And If using Paypal,  you would lose every case.  Tracking is required to win and prove your buyer got their Item.  

But that is just how I do business, and never have complaints on bent decals, and I can prove items are delivered. Once in a while 1 may get lost, but at least I know it did not make it. 

I use a lot of manilla envelopes.  Different sizes, Buy in packs of 100,  

You guys in the US got it good! FREE BOXES what the hell! In canada if you ship a round mailing tube it costs $1.50 more just for being round, but long square boxes doesn't have an extra charge. I ship all smaller decals, up to 15" x 10" in stay flat envelopes, depending  its weight  can cost $2.20-$3.20,no tracking. USPS gives you guys alot of different options compared to Canada Post ya lucky buggers

I ship using photo mailers, they're thicker and prevent bending & creasing.  No need to add cardboard when I use those.  If I run out, and need to use a regular envelope, then I add the cardboard.  I've never had an issue with any order arriving in poor condition, using these mailers.

I just got home expecting 2 packages tracking shows delivered and guess what, only 1 is here. Gotta love the usps. Now to fuigure out what they did with the other package.

I ship anywhere from 15-35 packages a day. I use shipping tubes from uline.com for all of my decals. I ship usps first class with confirmation for free and then allow people to upgrade to priority if they choose. Tubes are spendy but I just buy the larger tubes and cut them down to size. This of course is talking about very large stickers, if your shipping liek 8" car decals just use an envelope and get a DO NOT BEND stamp

I don't worry too much about tracking.  Yes, I've had a few people say that they didn't receive them and had to replace, but for the profit I'm making on the decal, it's not a big deal to replace...just really freakin' annoying.  Shipping an envelope first class with tracking would cost about $2.50...and that's a normal sized envelope...not worth it as I would lose customers if I raised the price of the decals...too much competition price-wise out there.

I don't worry too much about tracking. Yes, I've had a few people say that they didn't receive them and had to replace, but for the profit I'm making on the decal, it's not a big deal to replace...just really freakin' annoying. Shipping an envelope first class with tracking would cost about $2.50...and that's a normal sized envelope...not worth it as I would lose customers if I raised the price of the decals...too much competition price-wise out there.

I don't know where you get shipping, but a 3oz First Class Package with FREE tracking is $1.69.on Paypal shipping. I do it everyday. 

Just like Mx377 said above

7oz FIRST CLASS PACKAGE is still only $2.39, FREE TRACKING, and that would be a medium sized decal, like 14" x 10-11" between cardboard. for me.

I ship many of these every week.

Paypal is definitely the way to go for shipping. They have a deep discounted price for all shipping features compared to going to the post office and shipping from there. Plus you can print out the labels in the convenience of your own home or office and don't have to stand in line.

I use manilla envelopes that I buy in 100's from amazon and use cardboard in there with do not bend stamp. If you do not use the stamp then your package needs to be 3/4 of an inch thick or not bendable when using envelopes and shipping from paypal. The post office flagged me twice and charged me priority shipping on both to deliver them. I learned my lesson quick.

Yes a bit of a hassle, but stops decals from being bent and proves arrival.

This christmas was terrible for late arrivals and non arrivals of packages on the east coast for me. Tracking really saved me a lot of money and the customers really appreciated the convenience of knowing when and where their packages were.