Sign in to follow this  
cyberwebb

Windows 8 and cutter

I purchased a MH871 and had to purchase a new computer which has Windows 8...My SCAL software is not compatible with Windows 8...is there another software program that can be used with the cutter that is compatible?   New at this and still haven't been able to use my cutter yet, about ready to return, so frustrated

I scal pro on my laptop w/ windows 8. No problems here.

I purchased a MH871 and had to purchase a new computer which has Windows 8...My SCAL software is not compatible with Windows 8...is there another software program that can be used with the cutter that is compatible?   New at this and still haven't been able to use my cutter yet, about ready to return, so frustrated

maybe this video can get you  thru it,  many are using windows 8 with no problems

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/280/66/setup--installation-video

also bypassing signature for windows 8 driver

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/288/0/driver-not-installing-on-windows-8

I even contacted US Cutters and had someone log into my computer and they couldn't get it to work either...so I contacted Gateway but we didn't communicate very well, so I am at a loss

Do you have any older computers to use?  You don't need a fancy expensive computer to cut vinyl with.   I stay back on XP. and it is great.  There are still many great deals on XP computers on the big auction site.  If you have an older desktop with serial cable, that is even better.

Both of my computers that I use at the store to cut with are xp based and you couldn't pay me to switch to 8 in that setting.XP is just rock solid but like I was saying before I have 8 on my laptop and tried it out just to see if it would work.

Ted, I've got 64 bit on the laptop and it works. I would think 32 bit would be even more forgiving

Well there goes my theory! The only other thing I can think of is to try running it in compatability mode. In windows 7 you can right click the installation or program icon and select properties then compatibility. 

I was concerned when we purchased our cutter, because I heard that SCALP wouldn't be compatible with Windows 8, which is what my laptop runs... and I haven't had any problems at all.  Can you just install a different OS on your computer?  

I purchased a MH871 and had to purchase a new computer which has Windows 8...My SCAL software is not compatible with Windows 8...is there another software program that can be used with the cutter that is compatible?   New at this and still haven't been able to use my cutter yet, about ready to return, so frustrated

I would simply download & install SignBlazer and see if that gets you up and running.

http://www.mystat.com/Signblazer.zip