TimnAng

Almost done! (And random)

Customer was in a hurry for at least ONE set of decals for one of their work trucks, so I got a whole set ready and let them pick them up earlier than the rest of the order.  We've now got all 5 trucks worth of decals put together and ready to go... and 2 yard signs complete.  Only 8 more to go!  (I refuse to go to bed tonight, until these are finished!  lol)  And right now, my cutter is humming away, cutting a 30 x 28 tree for the hood of one of the word trucks... an add on to the order they had already placed.

So, here are a few pictures-  One they shot and sent to me of the decals on the truck... One of the finished sign, without the posts... a decal that I designed and cut for hubby's truck, and then last but not least, the Splatter Guy that I finally cut for my truck window.  Hard to see in the sunlight, he's cut in brimstone yellow.  I've already had a bunch of compliments on him, and cut three for my son's friends, for the bottoms of their skateboards!

Anyway, thanks for looking- back to work!

post-37278-0-45746300-1371517916_thumb.j

post-37278-0-57954200-1371517936_thumb.j

post-37278-0-18965300-1371517952_thumb.j

post-37278-0-37130600-1371517969_thumb.j

Just a heads-up, you should really eliminate all that excess negative space on the coroplast signs, and certainly the decals on the vehicle look bizarre with too much negative space as well.

(Also, the text MOORE'S is absolutely not following the arc properly)

post-21408-0-13043200-1371520016_thumb.j

They wanted the negative space on the signs, I questioned that myself, before cutting anything, and that's exactly how they wanted it.  I had pictures to follow, showing how they wanted the lettering... so while Moore's may not follow an exact arc, it's to their specifications.  And most importantly, they love them.

• Like 1

Happy customer = happy bank acct. Our opinions mean nothing as long as they are happy.

• Like 4

They wanted the negative space on the signs, I questioned that myself, before cutting anything, and that's exactly how they wanted it.  I had pictures to follow, showing how they wanted the lettering... so while Moore's may not follow an exact arc, it's to their specifications.  And most importantly, they love them.

Well, that says a lot about these Tree Cutters.

I do appreciate the feedback, but trust me, those same things ran through my mind, especially with the signs.  I even sent a picture to them after one decal was cut- laying it against the sign blank so they'd see exactly how much empty space was left, and he said it was perfect.  So yes, a happy customer is what I was going for in the end!

There are no hard and fast rules about whitespace (negative space)...

Peter Bilak wrote:

"Right and wrong do not exist in graphic design.

There is only effective and non-effective communication."

• Like 2

Right is a paying job.

Wrong is when the other guy does it their way and you don't get paid.

I try not to stand on a pedestal because it always hurts when you fall off it.

• Like 2

Nice attitude there, Slice, much appreciated.

I see that attitude from a few people on here.  Just ignore them when they're rude.  You gave the customer what he asked for, you made the effort to say "Yeah, we could do that, but..." and the customer is happy.  As long as you get paid, you can chalk that one up in the Win column, no matter what.

Just like the "remodedelling" van I fixed over the weekend - there is no way I would have ever suggested putting HANDYMAN that far away from the rest of the text - I tried to talk him into putting on the same baseline as the LJI part and try and tie it all in, but he was adamant that he wanted it up against the top of the side panel.   As long as they insist and they're paying, they're the ones that have to live with it in the long run.

• Like 1

Good work on everything. I wish that all my customers gave me complete creative control and did not hold me to a tight budget but that is a dream. Sometimes the the customer will listen to your professional advice and sometimes they don't. The coro sign could have 5 layers or even a printed picture if they wanted to pay for it but if they requested that specific layout then thats what they are going to get. I would have offered my opinion like TimnAng but the customer is the boss.

I somewhat disagree with a few sentiments here. I have principals about the quality of work I want to produce.

If the potential client's opinion is going to get in the way and severely compromise the final product,

I'll pass on the project. (In my mind, I fired them!)

...and I don't lack work either.

• Like 3

First rule of business, customer is always right.

At least while they're standing there...

I agree with the customer is always right theory.  They're paying me to do a job, and do it the way they want it done.  It's not my place to question them (even if I do try to gently sway them if I have a strong opinion one way or another).  Bottom line though, if I want the job, I do it their way.  And guess what, I wanted the job.  I got the job, completed the job and have been paid for the job.  He's happy, I'm happy and that's what counts.  And he's already had people ask who did the lettering on the truck he's been driving the past 2 days (because previously it was spray painted stencils).  So did I make the right call in doing it his way?  Absolutely.  And I stand by that, regardless of what those who disagree think.

• Like 3

I used to do sales and construction for a flamboyantly gay florist / interior designer. There was never a dull moment around him and he was very successful. I witnessed him on numerous occasions "fire" a customer because they questioned his opinion or design. When I had just started working for him  he had me deliver a full size van full of flowers, decorations, centerpieces and large pots for a high class party. The lady mentioned to me when I was setting everything up that some of the flowers were not what she expected. I stepped outside and called the boss so he could fix the problem and keep the customer happy. The boss said to load everything up and bring it back. I didn't understand at the moment and told the customer that he said to take everything back, we both thought he was going to fix it for her. To my surprise back at the shop the boss was angry and yelling that she dare speak that way about his work and that she wasn't getting anything from him! I couldn't believe it that he fired a customer! I did realize that his snooty attitude kept him in business with the super rich elite members of the community and aloud him to charge ABSURD amounts of money for his products.

The moral of the story is that in some situations this type of attitude can work but more times than not, you will lose out on business. 

P.S. my old boss is dead because he was shot point blank in the face by his neighbor about a year ago. 

• Like 2

I still stand by my previous remark with ;

Conscientiousness is an ethic. Snooty is an Attitude.

Happy customer = happy bank acct. Our opinions mean nothing as long as they are happy.

This is soooooo true. I have made plenty of shirts and designs exactly how the customer wanted them that I was actually embarrased of. And when the customer saw it, their face lit up and they were so happy... I'll never be able to explain it. And when they paid and said they'd be back, I was happy. I guess I am blessed that I can create a sample in illustrator or photoshop quickly so they can see what it looks like before we finalize it.

• Like 2

There is already too many things in place telling us what we have to have or have to do. Im not going to be another. If the customer wants something, Im going to do my best to give it to them. I will give my input and opinion to them but in the end, their paying me for what they want, who am I to tell them they have to pay me for what I want? There has been a big change on this forum, not a good one either.

Good job on the ...job

• Like 2

Thanks Monkey, and the rest of you... I always appreciate all of the ideas, help and support I find here.  Oh, and your willingness to answer my dumb questions is a bonus as well.  lol

Unfortunately there's always a few in the bunch.   :rolleyes:

As I read through this entire thread.... I spotted where I have been guilty of both attitudes.....

There have been times when I did exactly as asked.... after issuing warnings....

AND

There have been times when I let the person know that they needed to have their
request filled somewhere else.......

I'm thinking there is room for both avenues depending on circumstances.

• Like 1

Some people will throw things at me when I say this but I'm in it for the money not glamour and pride. If their payin' I'm game for whatever they want no matter what I personally think of it. But that is just me and I know some on here have way more creative integrity than I.

I simply don't put up with customers who are WRONG.

If they're obviously not right, then they're not right, and I have no inclination to deal with them any further.

By the way, here is an infamous example of a business that feels many of their customers are wrong ---

Amy's Baking Company, Scottsdale, AZ.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/gordon-ramsay-quits-filming-kitchen-nightmares-episode-article-1.1344121