Hello,   Im looking for software for my cutter plotter.  I was using Sign Cut Pro but the subscription ran out and I do not have the extra cash to reinstate it nor do I want to as it crashes on my constantly anyways.

I am looking for an open source windows version of a program any one.    I have SignBlazer.  Dont really like it.   Is there any other FREE software out there or maybe a plug in for Corel Draw X3.

What are my options in free software?

Thank You

I think signblazer is gonna be about your only free option.

I used SignGo for a few years way back when I started cutting. Was actually very nice and I preferred it over SignBlazer. 

I still use it on occasion when I am dealing with old files from eight or nine years ago instead of recreating/exporting.

It really cuts nice and gives a ton of options for controlling pre/post feeds, cut paths, cut direction and carriage travel, override non cutting carriage speeds, etc. 

I use inkscape but the problem with InkCut is its for linux.   i'm on windows.  Kinda in a pinch is what the problem is.   Dont really like SignBlazer.    Just not my cup of tea.   Use to signcut.  All the files types I usually use wont transfer to SignBlazer.   Otherwise I may play with it for a while.   However i have 43 order sitting in front of me and currently have no way to cut them.

I really think we need another free alternative.  Even if it is simple and able to read most file types.  I have coral draw x3 and inkscape even the plug ins people want you to pay for them.  I dont have the cash right now as i invested all of it in supplies.  But supplies dont matter if I can not cut the designs I need to cut.

Sign Blazer just takes to much time at the current moment.   This is the whole problem.   

I went to school for software development.  If I ever get free time I think I need to make a cut program for people that doesnt cost hundred to thousands.   Like $10 bucks or something for a donation.

I dont know just me thinking out loud I guess.  

Any ideas.   

• Like 2

You probably realize all this, but;

If you're in a pinch you can download the free trial and use it for a week... and a 1 month extension is just $15.

If it's crashing on you, I would recommend checking the drivers.... are you using usb or serial?

What operating system are you using? I would be inclined re-up my current software and iron out any crash issues.

I just re-up'd with Sign Cut and have been pretty satisfied with it. Also, I have more  awaiting my attention so I didn't

want to devote time to learning a different cutting software right now.

Hope things pick up for you.

Are you talking about downloading SignCut again to get the free trial.   and then paying monthly.   Because that may work.   SignGo has a month free trail but its the same problem as Signblazer.  none of my files are importable without me haveing to convert them. 

Also I am using a USBnot a serial cable.  Windows 7 64bit.

I will try to download the trial and use that and see what happens.   Along with reinstall new drivers.   then I guess pay.

Are there any cut software programs out there that you buy and don't pay a subscription fee monthly, quarterly, yearly and so on.   I would rather buy a program and be done with it.  one less thing to worry about.  Know what I mean.

Thanks for all the replies.   Its greatly appreciated.

Sure cuts a lot pro is good for cutting but very lacking in design features. Also Flexi starter10 can be had for around $100 on the big auction site. Both are programs you own, no subscriptions.

• Like 1

QUOTE>Are there any cut software programs out there that you buy and don't pay a subscription fee monthly,

quarterly, yearly and so on.   I would rather buy a program and be done with it.  one less thing to worry about.  

Know what I mean.<

I do.. and faced that decision recently when I re-up'd. Figure if I get through this next year with no problems,

I'll likely just buy it outright next time around. Gimme the dongle and lemee alone!

Also, I had a laptop with Windows 7 64 bit and had issues as well. My answer to the problem was to step back to Windows XP.

Have you read this?

AN_119_FTDI_Drivers_Installation_Guide_for_Windows7.pdf

may hold some answers to you crashing problem.

What cutter do you have and are you using the ftdi chip drivers?

Sure cuts a lot pro is good for cutting but very lacking in design features. Also Flexi starter10 can be had for around $100 on the big auction site. Both are programs you own, no subscriptions.

I have herd a load of good stuff about flexi.  Was thinking about picking it up when i had the extra cash.  I will have to look around and see what prices I can get it for.   Do you know if they have a trail aswell?

I think so. I use flexi starter to cut with but do my design in corel. Starter is just that a basic program but it does a great job of cutting. On the backup system I use scalp and it work good just not as many features as flexi.

I only use Corel X3 and Inkscape for all vinyls.   and was using SignCut for just the cutting.    Maybe Flexi is the solution.    For now.  Im just gonna use inkscape. and i guess save to import into Signblazer and work from there.  Illl just add all my images to one file and do one cut from there so I dont waste a load of time.

I think I will definitely check out Flexu though.    Like said herd a load of good stuff about it.

Flexi runs the price range depending on what features you need starter can be had for around $100  sign-pro is around $4300

Flexi runs the price range depending on what features you need starter can be had for around $100  sign-pro is around $4300

Don't really need any features.    Like I said I use Inkscape and Corel for everything.  I only need a program to cut with.  I do my mirroring and everything from Inkscape and  Corel.

i Found that most of my programs hated the 64 bit version of 7 since then i went to 32bit and not a single problem. there were some cheaper programs on IOFFERS.

I havnt really had problems with the 64 bit OS.  Its only certain files I add to SignCut that freeze and crash.   So I usually have to edit them til I get them to work.  But otherwise no other problems with the 64bit system.

Don't really need any features.    Like I said I use Inkscape and Corel for everything.  I only need a program to cut with.  I do my mirroring and everything from Inkscape and  Corel.  

I havnt really had problems with the 64 bit OS.  Its only certain files I add to SignCut that freeze and crash.   So I usually have to edit them til I get them to work.  But otherwise no other problems with the 64bit system.

I believe this would change if you started using flexi. It is just so much easier in flexi than anything else. Plus so much more is right at your fingertips and the effects work the way they should for cut vinyl not just a drawing........

I do all of my cutting through SCALP, my tracing through Inkscape and MTC.  And the editing, I use a combination of the three, depending on the files and what I need to do.  SCALP and MTC get the most use here.  I have SignBlazer as well, but find that I don't use that much at all.  MTC was definitely worth the price we paid for it ($60, I believe).  

I use PLANS which is over 20 years old and it does every thing for me for over 20 years.and it is so small it can be put on a floppy disk.

Bob

I use PLANS which is over 20 years old and it does every thing for me for over 20 years.and it is so small it can be put on a floppy disk.

Bob

HE HE HE He said floppy disk B) 

I'm using Sign Go to run my plotter, Corel Paintshop Pro and Inkscape.  When I convert photos or other images to vectors it's a laborious several step process.  I'm changing to Imigaro Professional Z and ProCut 8 as soon as I can afford it.  Imigaro Z will save me hours of cleanup time, and ProCut 8 has a lot of options I like, such as cut optimization, which saves vinyl, or sandblast resist, in my case.  For about $1,000, I get two programs that will pay for themselves in saved time in a year or less.  Check out both programs on youtube.

JT

Question for Jaybird...  Is the Sign Pro, you are referring about the same software as the SignGo ??  And do you know if you can use the SignBlazer Element with the Sure Cuts A Lot 2 ?  Thanks

SIgnPro? I didn't scroll back but if I said SignPro it was a typo. Sure cuts a lot pro (SCALP) is the house software here. Sigh Cut Pro is basically a cut only program to bring your designs into and cut from. I used Sign Cut Pro for a couple years with Corel Draw until I bought SCALP to run my cutter and finally bought Flexi Starter to run the Graphtec with. I'm not sure if you can export in a filetype that signblazer and sure cuts will both work with but there are a lot of people on here who may already know the answer to that and may chime in.

• Like 1

I have not used this option.  I use SignCut Pro and pay every six months.  However I do use Inkscape often and follow the forums and chat room.  Thus I know that the developer release has an Export-Plot extension that is supposed to be able to send directly to a hpgl, (also dmpl and knk,) compatible cutter.

Here are some screen shots of its settings.  I am using Inkscape 0.48+devel_64bit r13443.

export-plot.png

I do not know if this will work, but I would bet at least ten bucks that exporting as hpgl from Inkscape and sending that file directly to the cutter is the root of the problem.  Maybe it is converting all those curves into many short line segments.  I THINK that this plot extension uses a different approach to how it sends to the cutter as hpgl over the how the export to hpgl files does it, but I am not certain.