Sign in to follow this  
xpaperman

Official Help paperman with Graphtec thread :-)

Ok y'all, I bought the Graphtec fc5100-150.  Everything looks and seems fine (other than it came with no blades or a blade holder)..... the only problem is it appears that the part the blade holder would go does not move up and down during a test cut.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?  If you remember from my other thread, the guy said he thought it needed a new cutter head?!?  

Any info on where to start is appreciated.

I read about doing a factory reset.... would this help?  What would be the cons to giving that a try?

Thanks in advance!

Factory reset restores default settings, nothing wrong with trying that first. Mz skeeter has posted how several times and I think  turn on while pushing the up button.

Yes, jay, I read that thread.  I mentioned how to do it but didn't know if it was a good or bad thing.  I guess I can give it a shot.    :huh:

I'm just guessing but no up or down is probably either the electromagnet, a bad connection or a fried chip

my luck is going to be the bad chip.  It sounds the most expensive.  I guess I will have to call Graphtec Monday and see what they say.

after the reset you will need to see if it is getting voltage to the selenoid during the pen down commands - could be tricky with a moving carriage = my guess is it would either be a 12 or 24 volt current - maybe rig a small bulb connected to the wires to the selenoid while telling it to cut to see if the lite came on at all.  if you can narrow down if it is sending the volts to the carriage you can narrow down if it is the carriage or mainboard

• Like 1

This is not my week.....grrrr.  I called Graphtec and they basically said they can't help me.  Old machine, since I am not the original owner no warranty (I already knew that but thanks) and they would really give me no info other than call a local dealer.  They don't sell parts to end users only dealers (I understand that) they would not even give me the part number....LOL.  I was also informed that they don't deal with end users because even though anyone who can use a screwdriver could change the part quickly, there are a lot of "special calibrations" that need to be done that only a trained professional can perform.

Any way, called my local dealer (in Dallas) and got voicemail.  Waiting to hear back from them on how we are going to do this.  Probably not worth shipping this big ass thing and they are 120 miles one way from me.  

Might have to just relist it on the Dallas Craigslist page and part ways with it while trying to at least break even.  I don't know... we will see, depends on the price of the part (wish I could google it and see if I can find one cheap) but I can't even get a part number.

You need to find out if it is sending the voltage to the selenoid to narrow down

If it is the selenoid or mainboard

dakota, sorry.... I didn't mention that, but after your suggestion I did attempt to check the voltage and It is getting voltage.  I have been on the phone with Graphetec and 2 of there "dealers" (one was signwarehouse)  trying to find the part.  Graphtec is saying that they believe it to be the "Pin Block Assembly"  I also had service place out of Dallas say the same thing.  The downside is the part is no longer available.  I am stuck having to find the part on my own and am having no luck via google.

A nice guy at Graphtec told me although he shows zero in stock for sale he said the computer shows 1 returned but it doesn't show it as available.  He is not sure what that means but gave me a number to call to talk to a person that would be able to look into that for me.  Still can't get them to answer the phone.....If no luck there....I don't know where to turn other than try and resell it I suppose.  It is just to big for me to have sitting around waiting for "some day" to run across the part.

If anyone out there knows someone with a broken up Graphtec 1500 that I could buy a part off of, let me know.... thanks

Trade for some banners? Bet that ain't cheap to ship.

• Like 1

There have been a couple of damaged in shipment ones during the last year on Ebay, but it could take a while to find one.

I like the way they lay out of the manual. Very methodical.