Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Flexible Heat Resistant App Tape (for rhinestones)?

I bought a roll of RTape HotMask HM350 Medium Tack Tape to use for applying rhinestone transfers.   The first bunch I did were pre-cut templates cut from Sticky Flock that I ordered online and they worked great, but even after doing more than a dozen of the same design, the tape kept pulling up "flock dust" - there was tiny fibrous material that was the same color as the flock on the tape for every transfer.  

I bought a roll of rubbery template material and tonight I cut my first template from it.  The stones went right in and when I tried to peel the tape away, it seemed that it couldn't hold onto the stones nearly as well as it held on to the rubber template material, plus it's so stiff that it "snaps" as you peel it and flicks the stones right off.  I'm thinking that part of the problem may be that the holes for the stones are too snug, but even if they weren't sometimes remaining behind in the template, when the tape "snaps" then they're still going to fall off.  I can adjust the hole size and try cutting again, but I can tell I'm not going to be real happy with this tape...

Does anyone know of a more flexible heat application tape?  Something that flexes more like regular plastic app tape rather than overhead transparency material?

Thanks in advance!

personally I enlarge the holes slightly - helps a lot - using the green sandblast mask material

Personally I use Hotfix rhinestone applicant tape. I get it from Sign Warehouse. and after I apply the tape I flip the whole design upside down and peel the template material away from the tape vs the tape from the template.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="molesnsand" data-cid="316470" data-time="1371099128"><p>

Personally I use Hotfix rhinestone applicant tape. I get it from Sign Warehouse. and after I apply the tape I flip the whole design upside down and peel the template material away from the tape vs the tape from the template.</p></blockquote>

I stuck the template onto coroplast backer boards so it's not easily peelable... I'm going to try again with slightly bigger holes and see if that helps.

I increased the hole size by .1mm and now the stones come out much easier than before, but I still have to be really careful when peeling or it will snap and pop stones off of the tape.

I really need to find a heat app tape that is less rigid...

I find when I do mine, I have to just be careful as well.  I move slow, easy and steady.  Sometimes I might lose a stone or two but once I have the whole piece of tape off I lay it on its backside and replace the stones I lost.  Kind of a pain but....