Wildgoose

New Cutter! First run with small text

Got my new cutter and was amazed at the ability to do the small stuff. Attached is a pic of my first try at fine print. Cut made on 651 Oracal with the standard 36 deg blade that came on the thing and basically no fine tuning. The smaller text is just a tad over 1/8in and the whole thing weeded in one fell swoop. I had a harder time getting the insides from the letters because I can't see that good for some reason. I just stabbed them with an exacto knife and they popped right out. I am happy that I can actually show something to my wife that helps explain why I dropped coin on a new cutter when my P-Cut is still working fine. Ha ha!

post-20133-0-70866700-1371065407_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yes it is a SummaCut D75 30" cutter. I really looked hard at the FC8000 30" machine but I just couldn't justify the expense. This machine is designed to compete with the CE class cutters but is about 1K more than they are. I felt it was a nice fit right in the middle of the two Graphtec models in both price and ability and the reviews on Summa are all good. Not knocking the other brands, in fact I tried real hard to convince myself to pick one on the site because these guys at USC have been so good to work with.

looks great - happyness is a good cutter that is properly adjusted!  I have cut more vinyl the last few months than the last few years and a good cutter makes things so much better.

Oh the irony all that time and money in print and your back to running the old graphtec. There's hope for us cutters yet.

Latest craziness was this rediculous mess. I layered 5 wide x 5 long on some small siser white vinyl and the settings had 0.008 between each object. I didn't consider the distance between the layout until I pulled it off the cutter and was able to weed 0.008 lines between the graphics all the way down the sheet. I wouldn't have believed you could get that accurate (especially on heat press vinyl) if I hadn't seen it myself. Not sure if you can see the near angel hair in the pick but it was crazy!

post-20133-0-08461600-1371272903_thumb.j

I can go smaller in siser than vinyl. T sticky liner keeps small stuff from shifting while cutting.

Ya I agree, small designs even with my p-cut were no problem with siser. This is more about the 0.008 thin lines that are consistent all the way down the sheet. I widened them up after this test run to 0.08 which was what I thought I had plugged in the first time but this test batch took over 25 minutes to cut even with the new machine and those tiny hair width lines are absolutely straight and consistent all the way down the sheet. Inside each of those weeding boxes is a whole graphic that is about 5in wide by 2.3in tall that I am pressing on some hats that are taking about 1 minute each running slow at about 8in/sec. I ran a few faster but it was stretching the carrier and causing a little distortion so I had to slow it down. My old machine would have been crossing over the lines for sure. It wouldn't matter much because there is still the weeding frame around the graphic but I did some similar runs on the p-cut with 0.08 gaps and never saw this kind of consistency. Its going to spoil me. That and the fact that I was able to just load a roll up and hit the send button and walk away without worry. I am making 500 hats with 3 graphics each, so 1500 cuts to be made. I like to leave a little space between the weeds and pre-cut them and have my kids help weed the vinyl. Can't beat free help.