xpaperman

Graphtec repair question

Hey y'all.... I came across this and sent the guy an email asking him to be more specific.  It is not his machine so he is not exactly sure what the problem is.  It belongs to a friend who he is selling it for and he was told it needs a new cutter head.  Since he was not sure what that meant, he sent me pictures.....

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/bfs/3839112246.html

To me, in the pictures, it appears that what he might mean is the "blade holder"?  It appears to me the blade holder is missing.  Could this be what he is trying to say?  Could it be that simple?  He is willing to take less than the asking price.  I have a gut feeling a graphtec for 500 bucks that only needs a blade holder would be a steal.

Thanks in advance for any input.

post-27312-0-29714100-1371050232_thumb.j

post-27312-0-05968400-1371050259_thumb.j

post-27312-0-02622300-1371050275_thumb.j

That would be too easy. I just had the cover off my carriage the other day and other than the electromagnet that maes it go down and a return spring it looks basically bulletproof. Probably an easy fix either way.

I have googled and can't seem to find a "graphtec cutter head".  I was thinking worst case scenario if that whole piece needs to be replaced but I can't find one.  (I was trying to see what the cost would be)  I might just have to talk him down to his lowest offer and take a chance.

heck buy it for 4-500 and teh mainboard is worth that.  I would just make sure the carriage moves and the blade holder - holder goes up and down

heck buy it for 4-500 and teh mainboard is worth that.  I would just make sure the carriage moves and the blade holder - holder goes up and down

Thats what I was thinking dakota.  Wonder if I should check on drivers for it and preload on my laptop and drag it with me and try and send a file to it and watch it run for a sec.  Since it is not his I am sure he has no computer or way to send a test file.  He claim it came from a Fast Signs shop.  They upgraded.  (that is what makes me think they just snagged the blade holder for an extra for their new machine.)

• Like 1

wouldn't be a bad idea - hopefully it was from a small franchise and not one of thier main production facilities

Thats what I was thinking dakota.  Wonder if I should check on drivers for it and preload on my laptop and drag it with me and try and send a file to it and watch it run for a sec.  Since it is not his I am sure he has no computer or way to send a test file.  He claim it came from a Fast Signs shop.  They upgraded.  (that is what makes me think they just snagged the blade holder for an extra for their new machine.)

The UK version of Signblazer (all cutters version) has drivers for that machine.

UPDATE:

ok, he checked with the store that the cutter came from and here is what was said

Just a follow-up to my previous e-mail earlier today.  I contacted the FastSigns Owner of the plotter and this is what he said concerning the equipment.

"It’s my understanding the blade assembly is all one unit in the “cutter head assembly”. The diagnosis to determine the head is bad was made by the FASTSIGNS tech support staff."

I am still not sure I understand.... could they still be referring to the blade holder?  Can that whole head assembly "go bad"?

He didn't say as i haven't asked yet..... but I am sure he would... if not....LOL no sale!

I really can't see what could possibly break in the carriage on mine and it looks just like the 1 in the picture you posted. Only 2 moving parts the electromagnet and a small return spring to raise it up when the magnet cuts off. Other that that I think it would take a hammer to break the carriage.

I asked if I could bring my laptop for a test and he said no problem.  He mentioned I might want to bring some scrap vinyl to test with as he does not have any as he is not in the business.  I replied with "in the pictures it appears to have no blade so I am not sure the vinyl will do us any good.  He responded with "looks like your right I can't see a blade anywhere.  I turned it on and everything looks good."

I bet this is only missing a blade and blade holder.  

Anyway, the plan is to meet him Saturday for $550.00

I asked if I could bring my laptop for a test and he said no problem.  He mentioned I might want to bring some scrap vinyl to test with as he does not have any as he is not in the business.  I replied with "in the pictures it appears to have no blade so I am not sure the vinyl will do us any good.  He responded with "looks like your right I can't see a blade anywhere.  I turned it on and everything looks good."

I bet this is only missing a blade and blade holder.  

Anyway, the plan is to meet him Saturday for $550.00

It seems about everything in life & especially in business is a calculated gamble . My take is that you are willing to spend about 1/3 of the cost of a new unit ( maybe not a 60" , but a 24" at least ) for a used broken cutter . I would check it out also , but if it isnt a cheap simple repair ... not a logical decision imo . New with a warrnaty is a VERY safe bet . It depends on how much os a " Murphy's law " person you are . The most humorous/ironic part of Murphy's law is when it starts out .. It states ... Murphy was an opptimist  :)

Just remember if you buy it and don't want to deal with it I'll give you half plus shipping just so it doesn't sting so bad. J/K I think it'll be fine.

• Like 1

I did buy the machine.  The cutter head (pen block) seems to be bad as he stated.  It does move back and forth but the blade part does not go up and down.  I called Graphtec and talked with them.  (They are the ones that told me the part was bad by diagnosing over the phone)  They said the machine is to old and parts are no longer available.  They do not have a replacement part.  I have searched the internet and made tons of calls and can not find the part.  I guess I am out of luck on a quick fix until I trip across someone selling a machine like it with a different problem.  For now it sits in a corner taking up space.  I am thinking about listing it on craigslist and just selling it for whatever I can get.