QualeT Graphics

Wet Application

Anyone have a good idea for a wet application that drys quicker than Windex? I seem to squeege the heck out of my vinyl and it took 3 days to dry. I have also heard dawn dish soap and water works, but want to ask first.

Thanks for your help!

Shane

never ever use windex - the amonia attacks the adhesive - water, few drops of baby shampoo and some rubbing alcohol

• Like 1

DO NOT use windex. It has chemicals (I think ammonia) that affects the adhesive of the vinyl. Drop or 2 of dish soap or shampoo to spray bottle of water. I personally use store bought such as right on and rapid prep.

• Like 1

Have to dig out Mavis Beacon and start practicing again. That's alright a couple weeks vacations and you'll slow down enough for me to catch up.

never ever use windex - the amonia attacks the adhesive - water, few drops of baby shampoo and some rubbing alcohol

Do you just use the alcohol for cleaning the surface? Or do you mix it in with the shampoo and water?

Thanks

Do you just use the alcohol for cleaning the surface? Or do you mix it in with the shampoo and water? Thanks

A standard home brew app fluid is 3/4 water, 1/4 alcohol, and 2 drops of plain dish liquid in a quart bottle.

You can clean and apply with this formula however on nasty stuff a good cleaner should be used first the follow up with the app fluid to ensure no contaminants on the surface

Rapid tac

Rapid tac 2 for intermediate vinyl sets faster and can be used in cooler weather . But they have a disclaimer for hot weather it may not give enough time to apply right .

It is also good for final prep before install

Let me put on my chemistry nerd lab coat for a second...

As temperature increases, chemical reactions speed up. The rule of thumb is that every increase of 10°C will double the rate of a reaction. Standard room temp is about 25°C, and a good hot day of 95°F is about 35°C, so expect your RapidTac II type app fluid to activate the adhesive twice as fast - or, in other words, you only have half as long to get it straight and squeeze the bubbles out on a hot day. Since Rapid Tac II will set your adhesive in <2 minutes at close to 0°C, you could get as little as 20 seconds of wiggle time on a really hot day!

You can lengthen this time by cooling your intended substrate and your app fluid to around 75°F before applying and thus slowing down the reaction.

• Like 1

A garden hose is your friend on HOT days .. it also helps cool down the substrate also . Hot metal is tough , hot glass is even worse   :)

A friend of mine, who has been tinting windows for several years, told me to try "Dollar General" brand baby wash. In a quart spray bottle  1 tablespoon of baby wash, 1/2 cup of alcohol and the rest water. The baby wash says it has NO SOAP, and works great. Oh yea.......and cheap!

A friend of mine, who has been tinting windows for several years, told me to try "Dollar General" brand baby wash. In a quart spray bottle  1 tablespoon of baby wash, 1/2 cup of alcohol and the rest water. The baby wash says it has NO SOAP, and works great. Oh yea.......and cheap!

I like that one

great, now I gotta go to dollar general...... this site just keeps costing me money one way or another   B)

• Like 1

then head over to dollar general for the awesome cleaner - I don't use it as much for vinyl but great product!

I'll need to make a trip to Dollar General as well!  I'll be trying my first wet application in the next few days!  I've read enough around here, I feel like I've done it a dozen times over.  lol