USMC3225

router & coroplast?

I just got a job for quite a few coro signs to promote a detailing business. The shape of the sign has to be a 50's classic like the one they use for their logo. How do you think a router would work to cut multiple coro signs at one time?

I looked around and nobody sells blanks in the shape I need.

It should work OK if you have the right feeds, speeds and cutter. You will need to find a way to hold them in place. If these will be mounted with 2 screws, you could use a wood template screwed through a few and cut around it.

I tried router once before and had issues when running along the bias of the flutes. They wanted to shred on me.

I would think, a router would not work well.  I have never tried it on coro but have used routers and I can picture disaster.......

I wasn't satisfied with the results from the router. If I do it again I may try a bandsaw.

Would say bandsaw.

Cut a template out of a couple 1/8 plywood. Clamp the coro between two of them tight, then cut with the band saw.  Use the same technique basiclly to cut thin plastic pieces for woodworking laminets

I'm pretty good with the router but would imagine it would leave rough edges that need to be cleaned up. I thought about using a band saw but that is the one thing I don't have as of yet. I have used my router to cut kydex for holsters and just run it over the belt sander to clean the edges. That rotozip tool looks pretty much like a jig saw without the pulling of the blade, may have to look into that thing.

I'm pretty good with the router but would imagine it would leave rough edges that need to be cleaned up. I thought about using a band saw but that is the one thing I don't have as of yet. I have used my router to cut kydex for holsters and just run it over the belt sander to clean the edges. That rotozip tool looks pretty much like a jig saw without the pulling of the blade, may have to look into that thing.

A scroll saw should work on coroplast as well, and is cheaper than a band saw.  I know a lot of people don't like Harbor Freight, but I bought a scroll saw from them 10-11 years ago and it's still working - the one they have on their site now is $68 + $7 for S&H.

If you were going to make intricately carved wooden clocks or something, I'd go with a more expensive version, but for cutting coroplast, this one should more than suffice.

Harbor freight store is 30 minutes from me, Haven't been in a while maybe next weekend.

I think you can create an account online with them, then you get coupons etc. via email.  Makes the trip so much more worth it.

I would think a hand held jig saw and a scroll saw would work best. Home depot has Jig saws starting at $20. The rotozips are pretty cool, I have used them on sheetrock hundreds of times and they work great for that . . .

Harbor Freight is about an hour from me... like everything else lol... but I have tons of tools from them. I buy most of my bigger power tools from sears bc I like craftsman tools but if Im not going to be using it hard of its a good enough deal I will buy from Harbor Freight especially hand tools bc they have a lifetime warranty and are cheap. I might have to hit them up for a cheap band saw. I wont use it much but every now and again I do wish I had one. Maybe a scroll saw as well.

Harbor Freight is about an hour from me... like everything else lol... but I have tons of tools from them. I buy most of my bigger power tools from sears bc I like craftsman tools but if Im not going to be using it hard of its a good enough deal I will buy from 

Exactly - I would never rely on a Harbor Freight Tools power tool if it's use was required for my primary source of income, but for those tools that you only use once in a while, there isn't a need to spend the money for a Dewalt or Delta.

• Like 1

My son one day shopping in there with me said it best...

"They sell tools and tool shaped objects, the hard part is telling the difference"

• Like 5

I have a rotozip, it's quite hard to follow along lines with it, because it wants to ROTATE all the time.

My main use for the rotozip is to slice through acrylic panels (using a special bit, called a "Sabrecut" especially for hard plastics).

This type of hand-held scroll saw seems cool --

15226_R.jpg