rlvied

A couple of small stones

Here are a couple of new stones I just finished. The celtic Heart stone is about 1 1/2 round and polished, the rose is a stone that I ground down the face and polished it. The heart stone is a paper weight for my wife.

Bob

post-6565-0-67470900-1370803791_thumb.jp

post-6565-0-00349600-1370803805_thumb.jp

post-6565-0-02154500-1370803815_thumb.jp

post-6565-0-58469700-1370803849_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Very nice - Now you are just showing off doing the small stuff - love them

Thanks everyone, I wanted to see how small I could go before I lost to much detail.

Bob

What are you using for masking/stencil material that is able to stand up to that much blasting?  I use plain ol' vinyl scraps for etching glass, but I can tell it takes it's toll in just the few seconds it takes to do glass - I can only imagine that cutting that deep into stone takes even longer and would shred normal vinyl...

Very nice!  What is the technique that you used on the rose?

C

For my mask I just use paint mask. When I am blasting stone I blast with a pressure pot about 20-30 Lbs. pressure and 180 ao. Don't stay in one spot too long. On the rose I started with the outline and blasted that to the depth that I wanted then started pulling the mask for each piece, Blasted then pulled the next piece and so on till I had what I wanted. On larger things I will use anchor 117 mask but on the these they were just paint mask. I found that if I tried to use black diamond that will tear up the mask long before you blast the stone. Hope the info helps. Let me see your stone work.

Bob

Paint mask?  Wow.

If I ever do some stone I will be looking for more guidance from the master!

What is the 180 ao that you mentioned?  I've sandblasted a lot, but not familiar with the term.

C

What is the 180 ao that you mentioned?  

180 grit Aluminum Oxide similar to what is used in an Air Eraser (most of which use 200 grit AO).   It's a very fine white powder, almost like dust, it gives a very smooth finish, more like it's frosted than etched.

He must be extra patient if he's cutting with 180 grit at only 20-30 PSI.  I usually etch glass with 80/90 grit at 60-80 PSI...

OW - I should have known that, I think I even have a small box that I used to clean up some electrical and interior trim for my car.

Thanks,

C

Jones I use a pressure pot and it doesn't take very long with 30 psi. but it does give you some time so you can do some shading. Are you using a siphon gun or pressure pot? I find that 80 grit eats up the mask before you can do the detail work on some projects. For the larger things I usually use anchor mask.

Bob