Sign in to follow this  
n7kon

Auto Decal designs

I am looking for vector art for auto decals. Meaning decals like stripes decals for different models like for a new charger, or mustang. I have been looking around the net but only seem to find pre-cut decals. I want to cut them myself.

Thanks for any help.

Keith  

it could be tough - usually the people that took the time to measure and adjust the files so they fit properly want to make the money for the work they put in to design the layout and not sell them cheap so anyone can profit from thier work.  It takes some skill to get them to lay properly with compund curves on hoods etc on some of the newer vehicles

Thats what I was thinking the answer was going to be. I was hopping there would be a dvd that could be purchased. We have no one locally doing this and have had several request. Some folks have been buying them off the web and trying to put them on them selves and not having much luck. I have been applying decals they purchased elsewhere but as you said it is time consuming so have to charge more labor than they want to pay. That is until they mess one  up.

Thanks for the help. 

Keith

• Like 1

May not be the nicest thign to do but I have hear of people ordering the kits and then using them to make their own templates. Not my deal but I also have a local late model salvage yard that'll let me spend hours upon hours out there with butcher paper and a sharpie designing my own.

• Like 1

I love your idea Jay - but hard to get those new ones that way - if they are in a junk yard they are usually pretty well beyond tracing LOL   - could make an interesting pattern though

I worked 4 years in a late model yard pulling parts and cutting quarter etc. You'd be surprised like on side stripes you only need 1 good side and mirror for the other. Hoods can be tough because they tend to take the brunt of the damage, just have to try and find a t-bone or rear ended car. The real trick is late models with front sheetmetal don't stay in 1 pc. long at the salvage yard so if you're looking for something in particular it's good to make friends with the workers or offer a small finders fee so the call you as soon as 1 comes in. That way you can do your thing before they sell the center front or ? ? ?

• Like 1

I have a 1972 Ford Ranchero GT

And the graphic on it is old and fading unevenly....

The replacement for it from a company in Phoenix is approaching $400.00

BUT...!!!  I can understand why....  it is huge... and the curves are very gentle but exacting.

Even if I had the cutting file for it....  the runs are so long it would be dicey from the get go

And with my general lack of experience in this trade... I would pay somebody to apply it.

I don't know if I will be trying to do much more with my laserpoint. I cut some narrow stripes for the side of an S10 blazer a week ago and the cutter didn't track properly and ruined the first set. I wasn't worried about doing one set because I would still have most of the width of the vinyl left for other projects but after doing two sets I wasn't left with much. The second attempt was better but the lines still didn't line up correctly and I had to fix the edge with a straight edge and exacto knife. 

The LP1 is limited on tracking especially on solid "chunks" like stripes but on a sign composed on many smaller elements you rarely notice it. On straight stripes like over the hood I usually cut them on the bench with a straight edge.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have previously cut a stripe that had breaks in it. The old LP kick it out no problem, but she just can't handle the long one piece stripe. 

The LP2 is better but still no Graphtec or Roland. I'm not picking on the LP1 it made me  LOTS of money before I traded up, but truthfully if you want to do this for a profession quality tools make life way easier.