dirttrackin280h

Problem solved! - MH series jagged diagonal lines

As many of you MH cutter series owners have experienced when cutting diagonal or even straight lines, they come out jagged or "choppy". My machine (MH871) is about 3 weeks old and I never really noticed the jagged lines until just the other day when I was doing a design. I read around here on the forums and tried everything! Never read anything saying to slow the cut speed down. But I decided to try and see what happens. I lowered it all the way down from 390 to 40. And changed the baud rate from 4800 to 9600 (not sure if that had an effect on anything). Now my lines are SUPER clean! No jagged lines. beautiful cuts! For all you experiencing the jagged cuts, try doing this. It helped me tremendously!

2013-06-06204344_zpsfc8cae87.jpg

• Like 1

nice - haven't heard that one before, hopefully it will help a bunch of people

wow i have never had my cut speed above 200 on my MH series cutter i usually cut around 100 and the other day i cut a decal that was only 1 inch wide and .5 inch high so i turned the speed to 10.

Never had my MH871 cutter below top speed, 800.

Have always run the unit at full-tilt.

• Like 2

dang im going to have to try cutting at some these really high speeds and see if the cuts are still as clean, if so then it'll save me a lot of time when cutting a lot of decals 

I turned the speed up to 200 and the diagonal lines are back to being jagged. So I turned the speed back down to 20 where the lines have been cutting clean. I don't understand it, but it works for me!

What about taking the blade out of the holder, making sure there is no small pieces of vinyl hung up around the blade and put just the smallest amount of oil on the back end of the blade to help it spin freely in the holder.  Sometimes I will get some "less than perfect cuts" and I do this.... Usually I find a small piece of vinyl in there.....  usually does the trick for me 

paperman - I think what he has going on is the stepper motors can keep up better at the lower speeds but at high speeds it is making bigger "steps" and gets the jagged lines - this is why people go for the servo motors in the higher end cutters after they are sure they want to keep making decals etc.

prolly right dakota, even with my cheapo SC I can get some good stuff out of it!  Ya just gotta know how to rub it   ;)

• Like 1

i just recently started experimenting with mine and and i have been doing  a lot of cutting at speed of 330 and it seems to be doing a pretty good job

I've played around with speeds and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference on mine. My jagged lines were never bad, hardly noticeable unless you're really looking closely, never had a customer complain about them when they do happen. I'll have to mess with the baud rate and see what that does though.

yeah i used to cut smaller designs at a real slow speed and would have like small pieces would lift but ive noticed at a bit of a higher speed it usually doesnt do that anymore.

experimenting when I get home. I notice if I rotate the image sometimes it fixes the problem.

Although mine is still acting up I did have the jagged line issue and also turned the speed down and got very straight lines from that.

Wow! All these high speeds. I never have cut over 20-24. I'm gonna have to try these faster speeds.