Smokem

Computer Question

So, Another thread actually caused this thought, together with Hard Drive limitations.

I have a stack of clip art cd's.....  And although I would like to have access to them
I do NOT want to clutter up my internal hard drive with stuff I may only use occasionally.

Soooooo.....  Do any of you use an external drive...:huh:?

I'm considering getting a small 1 tb drive and loading all those clip art cd's on it.

Good Idea???  or not..... 

If you have an extra USB Slot your not using as I do have several and Use a small 320 gb external drive to keep all of my images, clipart, projects and even files that I work on I save to that drive, Works great for me and I have no problem locating files, So my opinion if you got it use it.

• Like 1

I run 3 internal hard drives - 1 is exclusively for storing files for the business - all 3 are backed up to 3 different external hard drives.  the benifit is when I change computers I just take the business drive out and put it in the new computer - if the internal fails - there is the external for back up.  always have 2 of everything in different places

• Like 2

I have a NDAS drive I really like. It's an external drive that connects to your local network. You then load a small program onto your PC you can access the drive the same as if it was an internal drive. There's no limit to the number of computers you can have on your network that can access the drive either. Really handy if you have multiple computers.

• Like 1

Saving exclusively to an external drive is extremely foolish.  That drive fails and you are SOL.  Saving to internal harddrive and backing up to external drive or some cloud storage is best solution.

• Like 1

Thank You all for the input....  All good points.....  After I posted this I remembered I have a 320 gig usb drive in here squirreled away.

And think I'll dump all those cd's onto it...  and back them up to my home back up drive....

Again... thanks for your thoughts and considerations.

I use multiple external HD's up to a 1.5tb. I back my work folders constantly. I do suggest 2 though cause I have 1 sitting here, with my other computers stuff on it after I dumped the computer.....and its now corrupted and I cant open anything on it :(

Unless you need access to your data in a remote location, I think a cloud solution (sky drive, google drive, dropbox, etc) is the best one for safety.  Even a backup service like carbonite is not a bad solution either.  I only use the external drive when I'm going someplace that may not have internet..  With all the good, cheap solutions out there, there is no reason to ever lose data to a bad harddrive.

• Like 1

I would love an online solution but all my internet is through a wireless carrier and it is not unlimited so more than likely I would go over every month. Already paying for 10gb a month and come close to going over all the time. I run 2 500gb externals 1 is day to day the other is a copy that get's backed up usually weekly plus I leave current stuff on the pc also until job is done. Not perfect but after 2 internal HD failures this year I have a very minimal losses of data.

• Like 1

I have not yet investigated the "Cloud" backup option.
Data limitations are not a worry, as I have an unlimited plan with my cell carrier.

Guess I am gonna hafta look into the "Cloud" drive stuff....

Damn 21st Century is invading my life.  ;D