Sign in to follow this  
USMC3225

Pen Tablet?

I have been thinking of buying a Wacom Intuos5 Pen Tablet to use with Corel Draw for node editing and drawing new art. Does anyone use a pen tablet or have any experience with one? If so what are your thoughts.. good buy or pass on it?

Much of whether you should buy it or not lies in whether you are gonna get much use from it. If you haven't ever used a pen tablet before, it will take some getting used to. For drawing, it's WAY better than a mouse. I have and use the Intuos 3 for nearly 5 years now but I remember the hardest part was getting used to looking up at the monitor and not down at the tablet. Node editing can be quicker than a mouse with the tablet, particularly if you use it with most other apps and have all the shortcut prefs set on the unit.

I guess it all comes down to, like so many things, you get out of it what your willing to put into it.

I do a lot with lightroom 4 too and seen that it can be used efficiently with that as well but photography is only a hobby and if I'm not going to use it for the vinyl I cant justify the purchase. I know if I got it *and liked it* I would use it for a lot of different programs... I'm hesitant because I don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on something I may not like.. How long did it take you to get passed the learning curve? I would probably have to jump back and forth between the pen and the mouse just because of time and having to get stuff cut and out the door everyday.

If mainly for vinyl cutter software (node work) and not so much for drawing from scratch, I don't see it as being too beneficial.

1/2 an hour to several hours a day for one or two weeks and I would think most folks would be pretty comfortable with it.

I use mine about once a week but would not get rid of it because, for freehand work, it can't be beat (by a mouse).

ok, thanks for the input. gives me a few things to think about. I do occasionally do some free hand work but it isn't very often, most of my customers pick images from my catalog and have me put text around it and such. Logos are usually sent to me by the company no need to ever draw them...  I have drawn two so far for companies that didn't have one... both own by family.

I have one also and agree with Skarekow about the learning curve but I do like it for drawing and Photoshop.

Bob

Thanks, that post helped a lot...

One question though... what is Atari?.?.?.?...........  

Hahahaha... couldn't help myself... I think I might still have mine up in the attic somewhere actually.. ;D

One thing I can say on getting used to a tablet, (coming from my photography side) once you get it, put your mouse in a desk drawer and forget about it for atleast a week, Use on the pen.

training your mind work in two planes is the hardest part.

For a cheap, Very functional drawing tablet, I recommend the xp-pen deco series. Any one of them are very affordable options (around a $100). I own one and love it, its cheap enough to not sink too much money in to, and functional enough to really let you see the potential of graphics tablets.

XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro for pc or Mac computer if you want something that feels familiar to pencil and paper. I use a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro Drawing Tablet With Screen . It's amazing, you can get this from their official store .