smokey13

Material puckers when cutting

Alright guys, I have a cp-2500 that I have been cutting with for a little over a year. Last week I was cutting several decals at one time and noticed that after the first design is cut the second gets off, third even more, etc. I put a piece of scrap in and ran through the cut again watching the material in the cutter. It almost looks like there is too much pressure and/or the blade holder is dragging on the material. I changed blades and oiled the holder but this hasn't helped. I'm cutting at 10cm/s with 20g of pressure and .25mm blade offset. Nothing has been touched setting wise since the first cut was made with the machine other than blade changes. The pinch rollers are adjusted the same on both sides (ran all the way in and backed out 3 rounds). Any ideas on my situation? I'm lost and running out of scrap vinyl for tests! Thanks for any feed back!

Gary

try less blade - could be causing a drag on the material - if that does it try a cleancut blade - ground from finer grained carbide, less drag and much sharper.  always the least blade as possible though

Oracal 651. Just ran another test cut backing blade off until it wouldn't cut the vinyl. Same issue. I'm baffled because it just happened all of a sudden. I've cut 6' long designs 20" tall with no probs

One of the members on here had a problem with the pressure roller assembly breaking on his copams (Rodger has 2 identical machines and I think it was on both of them)  might want to check the roller assemblies for cracks

Just a thought, and you probably have checked this to make sure it's not the cause ----   but are you sure the middle pinch roller isn't placed directly over the gap in the grit roller assembly?

space1.jpg

Pinch rollers are over the grit rollers. There are actually flouresent green stickers above the grit rollers so you can line the pinch rollers up. Just did another cut and moved the pinch rollers in more. Same result.

Can you post a video clip of what it is doing? it may or may not help with the troubleshooting.

Please excuse the sideways cell phone video. Pay attention to what the vinyl does as the cutter gets closer to the top of the screen. Thanks guys

Is it just the 2 pinch rollers on the cp-2500? Looks like it could use another one in between the 2 that I saw.

Yes the 24" cp-2500 only has the two pinch rollers...

How long is the sheet of vinyl you are cutting? if it is too short, the vinyl will do that. I can't tell the length by your video.

You need to have at least a foot or two of slack or better yet cut from the roll when possible when having the pinch rollers that far apart.

Mine did the exact same thing. I didnt notice it become to much of a problem though. 

Does anyone know if there should be a vacuum fan on the copams? I havent taken my old one apart yet to find out. There are holes like there should be a fan to suck down the vinyl.

14 inches long. I just cut the word test 1 inch tall several times in a line for the video

Just read on Google, "Copam 24" CP2500 Vinyl Cutter Sign Plotter Tint Professional ...

Series, this line of cutters features a vacuum fan that eliminates the need for a third pinch roller."

Is the fan vacuum fan working correctly?

Well that would make sense then. I bet yours and mine aren't working. I can hear when my graphtec fan spools up but dont hear anything on the copam. 

Hey Coaster! I see you're in Palm Harbor? I used to live in Dunedin. Moved to Gulfport.. small world.

HAHA yeah small world. Im 3 miles from the causeway. One member lives down in clearwater and another member lives in new port richie. Welcome to the forum. 

Not sure I understand the vacuum fan deal. It seams that while cutting a fan does run on the copam machine. Located on the bottom side. Any input here? Looks to me like its a cooling fan kind of like a cpu tower has

I can't be of any further expertise on the Copam... I don't own one. I do have a TC and it definately has a good size fan mounted in the base and holes along the axis that the 3 pinch rollers are on. ( 24" unit) I always assumed there was a vacuum system in place and it accounts for most of the noise when the machine is on.