decaladdiction

Issue with SC plotter not responding.

Hey whats going on guys, new to the forum so please bare with me. I have been reading topics on the forum for the past 3 hours but I have not got a straight answer.

I did a few cuts tonight with no issue, then went in to work on my own design for a banner I will be making, and the plotter lcd screen started to flash on and off and the blade just sits there going up and down in a tick tock motion.

- I have read that power cord was the issue, checked everything ok.

- I have read the ground to the blade was the issue, checked everything ok

- I have read that the motherboard is the issue. Not sure.

The machine is only 4 months old and have never had any issues before, anyone else have this problems and have got a fix for it?

Pics for clicks

post-45736-0-23201000-1370050418_thumb.j

My SC has never done that exactly but may be a memory issue. I reboot my cutter after every run of cuts. Like say I do 5 windshield banners then reboot cutter and do 5 more. Most ive done without rebooting I think is 10 5x3 inch decals at a time. These cheaper Chinese cutters dont have too much memory.

I assume you have rebooted your computer also but, I really dont think that's an issue.

That screen flashing on & off makes me think there is some kind of intermittent interruption going on.

You mentioned the power cord, have you got an meter and can you test the continuity and try plugging it into another outlet? Has the machine been bumped hard in the last few hours?

Strange that it would just start doing that out of the blue...

I do not have an ohm meter here with me. It has been very hot today could that have anything to do with it? maybe overheated somehow?

It's possible... They say heat is the number one enemy of electronics.

This stinks. I have a bunch of orders that need to get done too. I will contact support in the am and see what I can do. I will post any information I gain from them.

Change the power cord.

(any standard computer power cord will do)

Try one that has NO GROUND (no third pin).

===============================================

BTW, what's everyone's fascination with skulls? Really.

BTW, what's everyone's fascination with skulls? Really.

Gotta agree with you there, Slice... some sort of Death Culture Voodoo thing or something?

how are you connected?  USB or Serial?  If USB, are you using a keyspan adapter?

I had troubles with my SC via USB until I broke down and bought the triplite USB adapter.  Not a problems since.  

What I thought was strange that for 4 months of use he hasn't had any issues then, all the sudden, it starts acting up? What's changed?

Hey whats going on guys, new to the forum so please bare with me. I have been reading topics on the forum for the past 3 hours but I have not got a straight answer.

I did a few cuts tonight with no issue, then went in to work on my own design for a banner I will be making, and the plotter lcd screen started to flash on and off and the blade just sits there going up and down in a tick tock motion.

- I have read that power cord was the issue, checked everything ok.

- I have read the ground to the blade was the issue, checked everything ok

- I have read that the motherboard is the issue. Not sure.

The machine is only 4 months old and have never had any issues before, anyone else have this problems and have got a fix for it?

Pics for clicks

I don't think you will find a cord, memory nor the cabling will cause this kind of problem LOL  You will definately need to contact usc support - for new mainboard or power supply - I will guess mailboard.  We are pretty much past the static time of year with all the rain and now have entered the high power surge time of year - make sure you cutters have a good surge supporessor.  the grounding for the static that you referred to is a big problem with the MH during the winter months - the stands are isolated from the plotter so the static builds and discharges thru the print head frying the mainboard - I am not sure if that is a problem with the sc also or not but again we are pretty well past the big static stage so I would guess that either a power surge or component failure on the boards.

Did you contact USC like you stated above?  What did they say?

What I thought was strange that for 4 months of use he hasn't had any issues then, all the sudden, it starts acting up? What's changed?

My problems were intermittent.  I could go days with no problem then one day, nothing went right.  Weird cut lines, stopping in the middle of a cut and freezing etc.  Sometimes resetting the cutter would help get me through a cut or two.... the thing that did it for me tho, and kept all the weird stuff from happening was the USB adapter.  Once I broke down and got it, smooth sailing. Even if the trouble in this case is not the USB adapter, if using an SC machine I highly recommend getting the adapter.  

• Like 1

My problems were intermittent.  I could go days with no problem then one day, nothing went right.  Weird cut lines, stopping in the middle of a cut and freezing etc.  Sometimes resetting the cutter would help get me through a cut or two.... the thing that did it for me tho, and kept all the weird stuff from happening was the USB adapter.  Once I broke down and got it, smooth sailing. Even if the trouble in this case is not the USB adapter, if using an SC machine I highly recommend getting the adapter.  

I agree on the keyspan or better yet a real serial conection but in this case it is a little deeper.  Each case has it's own clues - in this case it is not a connection issue with the "lcd screen started to flash on and off and the blade just sits there going up and down in a tick tock motion"   - connections don't normally make a rythmic power issue like that

I agree on the keyspan or better yet a real serial conection but in this case it is a little deeper.  Each case has it's own clues - in this case it is not a connection issue with the "lcd screen started to flash on and off and the blade just sits there going up and down in a tick tock motion"   - connections don't normally make a rythmic power issue like that

Agreed

Though I said it, I have to agree, Dakota. 'Rhythmic' no. Not an Intermittent connection issue. Sounds like a motherboard problem.

Just a couple of days. It froze twice and would stop in the middle of a cut about twice. But after a reset I let it sit a little while and was ok since then. I have contacted support but they have not got back to me yet.

Just a couple of days. It froze twice and would stop in the middle of a cut about twice. But after a reset I let it sit a little while and was ok since then. I have contacted support but they have not got back to me yet.

I am glad to hear it -= I figured when it did the on off thing it wouldn't recover at all!  great to hear you still got the work out

So I called support this morning. After they emailed me back they wanted me to call so we can trouble shoot over the phone. After I explained my issue, I was told it was indeed the motherboard causing the issue and they would mail a replacement over to me today should be here in a couple of days.

I also asked if this was a common thing and I was told on the SC models it is a known issue that the motherboard fails. I will look threw the forum to see if there is a DIY on replacing the motherboard if not, I will make one as I go along replacing it.

Sorry havent been updating, I have been trying to catch up. Turns out it was the motherboard. I got it in on tuesday extremely easy to replace was only 6 screws that hold the backing and 4 screws that hold the board in place and a few connectors. Once i replaced (5 minute job) I was cutting right after with no problem! Thanks for the help guys!