Rip_frannie

Powder coating over vinyl

Bob you are the man. I checked it out. I'm gonna order or if this don't work out. Really want to see how it holds up. Thanks alot.

Your welcome Rip, glad I could help. That is some really nice work on the bikes. How hot will your oven get because I am looking for something to use with glass and most of the kilns are really small. Have you ever thought of doing some Enamel on the clover ends of the sword? That might look different then powder coat the rest. Just a thought. Sometimes it is scary, some of the thoughts I get.

Bob

I have been powder coating for a little while and the best way I have found is to shoot the part over the vinyl then put in the oven at 200 until the powder just starts to flow out then pull the part out let it cool then peel off the vinyl and bake for a full cure.

Just tested powder coating over vinyl. I was originally going to heat my press up and lay the heat transferable vinyl but changed my mind. I used just a regular piece of vinyl I cut by hand and layed it on some polished stainless. I did a full cure. This is how it turned out.

post-43414-0-22537000-1370897614_thumb.j

I have been using vinyl stencils for my powder coat business for awhile I lay down the first color then apply the vinyl mask, lay down the second color, heat untill flow out then remove the vinyl.  Pretty much the same process you use for 2-tone jobs only with vinyl instead of high temp tape.  I use Oracal 651. 

post-27582-0-75063800-1349741211.jpg
post-27582-0-25447700-1349953895.jpg

that is awesome!  (I am not getting into powder coating.... I am not getting into powder coating.... I am not getting into power coating......)

that is awesome!  (I am not getting into powder coating.... I am not getting into powder coating.... I am not getting into power coating......)

lol, run like the wind.  Powder Coating is an addiction.  And a ton of money to get set up to do it right.  You will never get good results with a hobby gun, all in all I have well over 10k into everything I have that is just powder coating related.  A good pro gun will run you upwards of 5-6k.

I have been using vinyl stencils for my powder coat business for awhile I lay down the first color then apply the vinyl mask, lay down the second color, heat untill flow out then remove the vinyl.  Pretty much the same process you use for 2-tone jobs only with vinyl instead of high temp tape.  I use Oracal 651. 

post-43414-0-58136700-1371475877_thumb.j

The cross came out great!

lol, run like the wind.  Powder Coating is an addiction.  And a ton of money to get set up to do it right.  You will never get good results with a hobby gun, all in all I have well over 10k into everything I have that is just powder coating related.  A good pro gun will run you upwards of 5-6k.

(I will not get into powder coating, I will not get into powder coating, I will not get into powder coating)

That turned out great! try using it as a stencil and after you get a feel for it you'll be amazed.  I'll post some of the work i've done.  The sky is the limit and the possibilities are endless!

Nice tribute to a friend...  Your attention and personal work says it all

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Ill keep you guys up to date with any new projects. 2 people told me they want crosses made so far. Don't know if I'm gonna make them or not yet.

Nicely done and a sweet Idea I'm all in on that!! I would love to stencil powder coating!!

thanks for the Ideas!!