Rip_frannie

Powder coating over vinyl

Has anyone used vinyl as masking for powder coating? I cut a cross out of stainless for my friends grave today. I'm going to polish it and lay his name in vinyl and powder coat over it. Never have tried it, but I am gonna give it a shot. Ill post pics of it when I'm done.

Wonder if the vinyl can take that much heat.

Ill let u know j. I have some really good 3m vinyl I'm gonna try on it. Might spray a scrap piece first. I have a 7 foot oven to do it in and have a blasting cabinet too so if it messes up ill just have to start over again. I might just lay the vinyl, spray it then peel it off with a exacta knife before I bake it.

Can't wait to see the outcome. I love it when I see someone thinking outside of the box.

• Like 1

Well my friends birthday is on the 18th in June. He passed away a few years ago and I'm trying to get it done before his birthday and put it at his grave. If all my friends weren't so whipped if have one hold the cam corder and make a video. Still might. Ill just have to hold it up with something.

We do powder coating, at our company, and i dont know of really any vinyl that would withstand the heat... if there is,,, its expensive...

we have tossed alot through and most didnt make it through lol, 

Looks good. How are you cutting stainless, plamsa cutter?

• Like 1

No jay, believe it or not I cut it all with a grinder, squared everything as close as I could. Then rounded it with a benchtop grinder and cut the deep v's with my band saw. After that I rounded everything and then buffed it. I know alot of work. But it has a special meaning.

• Like 1

The things we put out heart into always come out best. I was just curious because every time I look at a pc. of stainless my cutting tools  go dull.

I used about 4 cutting wheels on this. I'm gonna sand, them polish the other side. After that, I'm gonna test the vinyl I have for tshirts and just regular vinyl on test pieces before I try it on the cross.

wonder if you could mask it and paint with something the powder wouldn't adhere to that could be removed later - just brainstorming here

What temps do you need? I have some teflon tape that might work.

I'm gonna try to lay his name down. Then powder coat it. Ill peel his name off with a exacta knife and bake it. That way his name is in the polished stainless and the rest is powder coated.

I need like 250-300. It only has to be in for about 10 minutes. I have alot of scrap. I'm gonna try to shoot a piece tomorrow. Ill post the results regardless if it works or not so u guys can check it out. I have high temp tape for powder coating but masking a style like old English or anything wouldn't turn out right.

How big of text do you need? I have some 3" wide teflon tape that has a backing.

This is what I have. It has fibers in it so not sure how easy it would be to weed the outside and leave the text. I also have some wihtout fibers that doesn't have backing. Could use old vinyl backing.

post-1636-0-11673000-1370314235_thumb.jp

That's pretty bad jay. Ill let u know how this works out. Hopefully I get to it today. Where did u get that from jay?

That's pretty bad jay. Ill let u know how this works out. Hopefully I get to it today. Where did u get that from jay?

Rip R-Tape makes a pro grade paint mask that claims it can be used at 200 Deg. plus. I have used it for sand blast but not for spray mask

Bob

I got powder coating tape from mc master carr. But I want something cut from vinyl cause the detail and it's basically perfect. Masking is too shaky with the curves and intricate curves