Sign in to follow this  
MadHatterGraphix

Severe storms no work.

We're in for some strong thunderstorms this evening which means no work or online for me. I have surge protectors on everything still I don't want to take a chance.. Wondering if anyone else does this?

• Like 1

so that means you will be sending them my way - just went out and found out why the pool was taking sol long to fill - umm you have to close the valve at the base of the pump so the water doesn't just run out.  Now if the neighbor that put their drainfield right below my pool a few years ago (10 ft away and 3' below) didn't have enough saturation when I pumped off the cover I am sure this will help a lot - ran it for about 5 hrs without going out and checking it  :-[

Storms? Electric? UNPLUG including cable as it DOES TRAVEL down cables cabling...I know..I watched my tower explode in 09...If its bad enough to save-UNPLUG..dont think about it-DO IT...SURPRESSION does NOT always work....I work on POS systems and idiots who dont do their grounding and they base on SUPRESSION...NOT...You want to keep it..Unplug it...

Water.Ummmm...I think you figured that out on your own...Have a good even america...

Most do unplug or shut down. Myself pay way to much for insurance and never get to use it so everything stays on. Everything is on backups though so I get a chance to power things down as I never shut anything off.

Im with you Mopar, I don't shut down or unplug unless I really have too. I have equipment coverage along with my liability insurance for two companies we have going now. Everything gets backed up daily @ 4 so no worries about losing anything.

No insurance here but if I get a printer I guarantee I'll get insurance. In the mean time I never shut anything down. Last time I turned off the pc the f*&$^n hard drive died when I tried to startup.

I'm watching to make sure nothing blows. My desktop to replace it to close is over 900.00. I'm pretty much not that worried but never know.

I switched jobs at the beginning of the month - still work for the city, but moved from the Landfill to Water Pollution Control.  Part of my job is keeping track of the daily rainfall, and it's getting to the point where adding up this month's rainfall is going to require me to take my shoes off...

We've had lightning/thunder at least several times each day all this week - I've been trying to squeeze work in during the few hours of relative calm between storms.

I really should have got out and mowed the yard during one of those spans, the grass is growing FAST and it's going to be a nightmare by the time it dries enough to mow..

tip of the week - never ever ever put a new flagpole 3 ft from the electric meter - had been married about a year and got a call at the prison - back room with the home theater lit up and she had no power - ran home - checked what I could - got a couple of breakers to reset and headed back to work - in 1991 that was a $7000 hit - even with supressors a direct hit will take out a lot of stuff.  Flag pole came down immediately - lightning jumped from there thru the gutter system to the meter box - perferating the downspout in several places

Good tip... So Egon crossing the streams is bad ok good tip.

LOL - neighbor seen it hit -said it was quite impressive - when I found how much stuff it fried I wasn't impressed.  even took out the in the well pump - fried motor and wiring.

Damn Dakota or can I call you Scott? Anyway that sucks. When I was younger lightning hit the pool traveled through the electrical wiring and took out the garage lights and our stereo system. I have seen what it does so I'm very very cautious on storms.

"Where to these stairs go?......They go up"

Just a thought from an old guy about electric storms AND insurance.....

Remember......  even if your insurance company pays for ALL the new stuff to replace what blew out..

YOU are the guy who hasta reinstall, reset, install, set defaults, on ALL that new equipment.
You will be DAYS doing that.... 

Just a thought....be safe...... unplug... save time, aggravation, frustration  ad nauseum

Time is precious... that which is lost can NEVER be recaptured

• Like 2

Insurance pays for down time also and they will get you up and running within a day if your are covered in your policy correctly., Generally whole shop can be replaced within 48 max hours if need be. PC is easy, Printers and plotters are only a few hours away. Install rip, Estimate and CS6 and away you go. Everything is backed up offsite.

Spam Deleted. Ya BannerJon!!

MSI 970A-G46 Board with 32 gigs corsair vengeance ram installed.

AMD FX 8350 8 core Clocked up to 5.0 ghz

Older pair of GTS 250's in SLI. They run excellent but I hate buying new graphics cards every year so I have kept these 2 for a few years.

128 SSD drive holding Windows 7, Flexicloud, Adobe CS6 and of course World of Warcraft. Nothing gets saved to this drive except what I am currently working on. 

4 other misc drives holding other programs, customer files and other garbage arranged by drive. 

OCZ 850 watt power supply. 

Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler. 

Big ol  XIGMATEK Case, lots of fans and filtered air for the case, holds 10 hdds three of which are hot swap-able via front door. 

3 main monitors and on a articulating arm in front of desk is a 24" LG tv that mirrors my main monitor only so customers can see what I see without being behind me. 

The setup takes up most of my desk but runs like a dream. I just put this one together in march. And every march I upgrade this main one and move older parts to others within shop. 

I have always run ASUS main boards, tried MSI this year and really I dont like the Bios of it at all. Last one I will buy, Might not even make it to march till I go back to ASUS.

Customer files backs up to Dropbox Pro

As for the computer hardware

Main board is a msi 990 I forget the numbers

AMD same as yours but not oc'd

16gb G.skill ripsaw memory

Single EVGA 550ti

Samsung SSD 250gb

WD black 2tb

Lain cool dragon force 58k with 6 fans

OCZ 750 watt ps

Hot swap bay on front aftermarket

LG Bluray burner 6x

LG Bluray burner 12x

That's bout it

I use either a 21 HP monitor, my Sony 3D tv or my Samsung 32" tv for monitors .

MSI 990 here - having trouble every time I try to add antoher 16gb it won't boot  even ordered the exact same ram as is in it - same thing . . .

tried twice - pretty sure it is the mb - used different ram then ordered the exact same that is in in - gave up for now