Sign in to follow this  
resendiz520

Cobra ink High temp Ink problems

Hi, i just ordered High temp inks from cobra ink for sublimation on my epson wf-7510. Ive been having trouble getting the colors to look right. I installed their color profile but the colors still look light,faded and dull. My reds are pink and blacks are grey, other colors change as well. After I press thats when it changes the most, especially on mugs. High temp ink users please reply with your experiences or solutions. Thank you   :unsure:

the colors will not look right until pressed - if you are having trouble AFTER pressing then call richard - he will help you. -- sublimation inks are different and turn from a solid to a gas - in such they do have color shifting from the printed on paper color to the final - after you press they should look vibrant and colors close to correct

My suggestion is going to be to call Richard tomorrow and he WILL get you fixed up and running right. I have never seen service like he offers!

• Like 3

also have you checked your press temps with a ir thermometer as sublimation relies on accurate temps and times for each product

Thanks for replying. I have not tested with a heat gun but i just set the temp on my presses. Does it need to be the exact temp and time when it is pressed. After the temp is set and I start pressing, my temp drops

the temp will drop a little but prcise temp and time is very important

too much time will actually make your colors muddy and blacks more gray - found that out with sublislates

These are some 2" square Unisub tiles that I pressed (phone camera pics, not the best quality)...

post-24492-0-96816600-1369885807_thumb.j post-24492-0-30749800-1369885813_thumb.j

If your colors are too pale, then it is probably not enough pressure, not enough time or too low of a temperature.   Dye sublimation is really picky about hitting the right temperature, time and pressure and if you're off on even one, your colors won't fully develop.

Just to double check - you are using transfer paper intended for dye sublimation and not just plain white paper, right?  Paper for dye sublimation is treated for maximum dye release - I've never tried with just regular white paper, but I can't imagine the results would be very good...

• Like 1

That's awesome. and yes I am using sublimation paper. Im guessing its just like everything else. Practice makes perfect. I might just have to burn through some blanks and experiment. Thanks. Ill keep you guys posted on this with pics and if any improvements.

great thing about sublimation - if you have areas you didn't have ink the first time you can add new material and heat again to add to the white area for testing - heck I even added black stripes over the first sublistates when testing to get good blacks

My suggestion is going to be to call Richard tomorrow and he WILL get you fixed up and running right. I have never seen service like he offers!

Hope Richard helps you out because he didn't do Sh*t for me. To this day my Epson WF 1100 doesn't work right and never did. Very low quality prints, print heads that never print 100% and the machine did not come with all parts needed to print. 

I thought I was buying a sublimation printer when I bought this but when I learned more about things I figured that out (my fault) I almost bought a set of the high temp inks offered by cobra (in a delusional state of hope that the printer would start working properly) a few months ago but they didn't didn't answer my email questions about it which reminded me about my previous dealings with them.

Hope Richard helps you out because he didn't do Sh*t for me. To this day my Epson WF 1100 doesn't work right and never did. Very low quality prints, print heads that never print 100% and the machine did not come with all parts needed to print. 

I thought I was buying a sublimation printer when I bought this but when I learned more about things I figured that out (my fault) I almost bought a set of the high temp inks offered by cobra (in a delusional state of hope that the printer would start working properly) a few months ago but they didn't didn't answer my email questions about it which reminded me about my previous dealings with them.

what was missing?

A priming syringe. After dozens of bad prints and much frustration I contacted Richard to see if he could help. He told me I have to buy a Priming syringe because air gets into the lines during shipping and if unused or if the printer runs out of ink. Boggles my mind why this wouldn't be included if it is required from the get go to get your printer working properly. He sells them for under $3 which I immediately ordered. Priming the printer helped a little but did not fix the other issues. 

Ted, His support has always been top notch..  You have to realize he doesn't make the printer just adds the ciss system.  It sounds more like user error and a lack of knowledge and research before you bought the printer ?  I don't think its fair to bash a Company for your mistakes.   I have had them all and I have now printed almost 1000 phone cases.  Have I had some bumps along the way?  Yes like everyone else.  You have to learn your printer like you do your cutter and figure things out.

You could always buy a .  Ricoh 7700 for around five or six times the price of the epson not to even mention the ridiculous cost of the ink...

I don't see anything wrong with these?

post-2057-0-26905100-1369926384_thumb.jp

post-2057-0-30604900-1369926413_thumb.jp

post-2057-0-50899200-1369926457_thumb.jp

Ok here's the important questions no one asked. Who's sublimation paper, and what side are you printing on? I ask due to they make a difference big time. Buy the paper from a company like Conde, and Coastal Business. Never buy from sellers on eBay I used Royal sublimation paper and had nothing but headaches. I switched to the brand Coastal sells not one headache. As for side of the paper there's a bright white side, and a dull side. You print on the bright side, I believe it has a coating to allows the sublimation ink to attach and let go when heated. I know when I accidentally printed to the dull side mt results were like your explaining.

• Like 1

Me either, your examples look great. I have also seen other examples printed from Epson Workforce 1100 printers that look great. My printer does not print like that and might I add that on the Cobra website your printer lists that it is 100% trouble free. My printer did not list that statement in the description because it is not "trouble free". I understand that with gaining the CIS there would be extra work involved in refilling the ink and maintenance, I made that decision when I purchased it.

I don't understand what "lack of knowledge before purchasing this printer" would have to do with mine not working properly. When comparing printers before my purchase Cobra had a better reviews but I did not realize this printer did not have the option for high heat ink. Now it does, what does that mean in relation to the print quality? I would be very happy to figure out that the issues are from "user error" but I really don't think that is the case. In the few years I have had this printer and done hours of troubleshooting by myself and with the help of Richard I have not had a single print that did not have some sort of issue. I am attaching a picture of a pile of prints that I did last week in yet another attempt to use my printer. These were printed on plain paper so that I wasn't wasting JPSS while trying to get the printer to work. Final product has lines and poor quality by the way.

post-12577-0-03208500-1369929007_thumb.j

Well first off I have nothing to do with Cobra inks LOL   (I don't work for them).    Mad you are 100% correct paper does make a huge difference.  I also use image right from Coastal never had a problem.  In fact another great brand is Tex Print however Tex Print isn't recommended for mugs because of a high release.

Ted If you are using a high temp ink to print on JPSS Paper that wont work?  I am a little confused not sure if you are using pigment ink or high temp ink?

Hope Richard helps you out because he didn't do Sh*t for me.

Now you say

I have had this printer and done hours of troubleshooting by myself and with the help of Richard

I am not really trying to bust your chops even though I am sure it appears that way but those statements don't make sense If he spent hours trying then he did more than shit .  The 1100 is a great machine mush better than the new 7010

I am using pigment ink in my printer and JPSS, Epson photo, and regular paper with the same results. I want to try doing sublimation but haven't bought the new ink because I still can't get my printer to work correctly.

Mr300s I keep hearing that! everyone loves this printer and Cobra ink systems. Makes me want to buy a printer from them except for the fact that the last one I bought sucks. I said he didn't do anything about my printer meaning it still doesn't work correctly. The troubleshooting he had me do (aside from the priming syringe) was the same stuff I had been trying. I can pay for it to be shipped to him for repairs but that will cost half of a new printer plus I will need new inks so most of the cost for a new printer. I don't have the resources to take close to a complete loss right now especially since I have been focusing mostly on cut vinyl products (the cutter works). 

You are correct though he did something, I should have worded it differently. 

Despite the problems im having i still love cobra inks. I have 2 other printers setup for other purposes and wouldnt trade them at all. I think the 1100 and 1400 were the best printers made for the price. I wish they still made them or had similars at the price they used to be.

And for the sublimation paper I was printing on the dull side!!!!!!!!!! feeling pretty dumb right now haha.

Here are some pics. the mousepad is perfect. License plate is a little faded but final product looks awesome. dog tag and mugs are horrible!. ill post pics after I flip the paper. Thanks guys

post-45128-0-00184500-1369937700_thumb.j

post-45128-0-21230300-1369937727_thumb.j

I also had a little trouble with my printer and its brand new. Those lines were exactly how mine was printing but worse. After about 30 head cleans it cleared up. I know its alot of ink to waste but when I installed the cis kit I had alot of ink leftover and it just filled right back up. Maybe all you need is lots of headcleaning.

Ted, what does your Nozzle Check printout look like?  I've had nearly no problems with my WF1100 and I bought it used.  I've gone as long as 30 days without printing and not had any significant nozzle clogs (knock on wood!).  I've done a couple of head cleanings now and then if it wasn't perfect, but never really had to "fuss" with it.   I had to do a few head cleanings after I added the CIS to get everything flowing smoothly again, and that's about it.

Ok I was really lost Ted sorry. Hmm did you do a head alignment?

I also had a little trouble with my printer and its brand new. Those lines were exactly how mine was printing but worse. After about 30 head cleans it cleared up. I know its alot of ink to waste but when I installed the cis kit I had alot of ink leftover and it just filled right back up. Maybe all you need is lots of headcleaning.

Yeah more times then I'd like to admit. I just hate to give up on something like this. 

I have been printing a bunch of documents today but I just realigned the heads and did 4 print checks then cleanings. 

post-12577-0-54040200-1369940509_thumb.j

post-12577-0-80031200-1369940598_thumb.j