darcshadow

First Manual trace

My Dad asked if I could make my Grandma's farm into a decal he could use for a project. I gave it a shot and I am pretty pleased with the results so far.

Started with this photo

post-25571-0-87772400-1369767593_thumb.p

and got to this

post-25571-0-95584200-1369767616_thumb.p

I'm planning on cutting it as a layered vinyl but another post on here got me thinking. Anyone on here interested in doing this as a print for me and if so what would you charge for four decals that are about 4.5" tall and 18" long.

That looks great! What software did you use? I have tinkered around with a few different programs but always end up having better luck with inkscape.

Thanks, I had fun playing around with it.

That looks great! but always end up having better luck with inkscape.

Inkscape. Started our just making a silouette. It look ok but need something so I went in and added some outlines for edges and stuff. Once I had that done I though, what the hell, might aw well merge the outlines with the silouette and make individual objects that I could then color. I probably spent 40 to 50 hours tinkering with it.

I do like Inkscape as well... Amazing software for free. And I like where you're going with it!

NICE WORK!

Great work.

Just curious but if you want it printed why not just take the original image and print that? Assuming its good enough quality at least. It doesnt have to be a vector to print. Only if you need to scale it.

Great work.

Just curious but if you want it printed why not just take the original image and print that? Assuming its good enough quality at least. It doesnt have to be a vector to print. Only if you need to scale it.

You can take that kinda talk right on down the road Mr. Ha ha just kidding. This could be used for a number of things from a logo, road sign, to framed or adhesive wall art.

Printing wasn't the initial plan and only occured to me after I got done with it. I also like the look of it as "art" vs photo and think it will work better for what my Dad has planned.

Great job really. I'm was thinking of doing this for a local lumber company here. They're always nice super helpful. My dad use to go to them way back in the 60's ans 70's for of course wood for illusions. Now it seems every month we go to them. And like to make thinks for them as a thank you.