Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Why you should pay more for name brand vinyls

I have used a lot of Oracal and have had great success with it. I generally use the cast 751 but have also used a lot of the 651 intermediate on flat surfaces without any problems. I use the GS products for inexpensive stuff for friends or temporary signage both with full disclosure that it is lower priced budget material. Our local supply houses have 3m and I have had just as good of experience with it although the last 3m product I bought was on a new plastic carrier that I think was supposed to be the new hot thing and I didn't like it. It worked fine for the cut, in fact you can over-cut a little without having the typical problem of having part of the carrier come off with your vinyl but the carrier was too light and I fought it during the weed process. It was a big graphic that had a lot to weed off. Maybe smaller stuff would not have been so annoying.

One of my first things I bought from us cutter was 50 yards greenstar white 12" because orcal 15" did not fit in my mh 14" cutter. I latter found out that you can cut 15 inch down to whatever size you need with a miter saw it is very easy. The first car Initials I ever did was with that greenstar. I just glad I did not put it on a paying customers car and I don't think my nieces will take her business else ware because it was free lol. I will half to watch and see how well it holds up and I wish I never bought it. But thats the vinyl business you got to learn from your mistakes.

Greenstar white also has the annoyance of coming on a white liner - it's murder on your eyes trying to weed anything detailed or intricate when your vinyl and the backing are the same color.  It's also difficult to layer anything on top of Greenstar white because you can't see the white vinyl through the tape when you're trying to line things up.

• Like 1

Greenstar white also has the annoyance of coming on a white liner - it's murder on your eyes trying to weed anything detailed or intricate when your vinyl and the backing are the same color.  It's also difficult to layer anything on top of Greenstar white because you can't see the white vinyl through the tape when you're trying to line things up.

I have just started to layer vinyl. I have not done any thing with the greenstar white yet. Just with the orcal black and the colors thanks for giving me the fyi.

You can pick up the Greenstar white with tape and layer it on top of any other color with no problems, but trying to layer on top of the white vinyl on a white backer is nearly impossible with paper tape...

For alignment of multi-layer graphics, even on white/white - use a lightbox and your problems are solved.  This will obviously require that you first, have a lightbox, and second, the graphic isn't bigger than the lightbox.  

Greenstar white also has the annoyance of coming on a white liner - it's murder on your eyes trying to weed anything detailed or intricate when your vinyl and the backing are the same color.  It's also difficult to layer anything on top of Greenstar white because you can't

see the white vinyl through the tape when you're trying to line things up.

Put a little blue builders chalk in an old sock and rub across your cut lines they show up great and the chalk cleans right off .

• Like 3

I am a little confused because I fell in love with some 3M white material I got as a sample but when I got 3M and some Gerber material at my local supplier it looked thinner than my sample stuff. There material looked, cut and weeded just like my oracal 751! In the past I have only used oracal 631 and 651 but recently decided to switch to cast materials, now I just need to pick a company.

I've been using Endura Gloss for a long time and I believe it's as good or better then Oracal or 3M. I've used them all and I'll stick with the Endura for the cost and quality. It's tough and easy to weed!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2013 at 3:58 PM, OWJones said:

I haven't bought GS in over a year but the last time I did the white had a blue backer. A few years ago the white had a white backer and  I agree that was a pain.